Engine Swap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Swap question

In another thread, I'm trying to get my lower unit apart. It's a 2000 SX250HP OX66 2-stroke. My question is related to if I end up deciding to replace it with, say a mid to late 2000's F250 (non digital). I'm sure the 704 binnacle that I currently have will work - all that really matters there is the throttle/shift engine-side cable ends... what about the key switch? I have the standard Yamaha key switch. I "assume" that will work fine, as well? I mean, it's just basic stuff that should work with the F250, right? Am I overlooking anything?
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

It It will mostly be plug and play. Some adjustments to a Yamaha multifunction tachometer if one is installed. Perhaps an adapter harness will be needed for the trim/oil harness that runs from the motor to the tachometer. If one is installed.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
      It It will mostly be plug and play. Some adjustments to a Yamaha multifunction tachometer if one is installed. Perhaps an adapter harness will be needed for the trim/oil harness that runs from the motor to the tachometer. If one is installed.
      Good point... and this is because the tach is going to be looking for that signal? Would I be correct in assuming that the on-engine oil tank level sensor is normally open... and closes when the oil level is full? Either way, that, I think, should be easy enough to take care of by just keeping the level sensor wires apart?

And the adjustments to the tach (from your first sentence) would be due to getting the correct RPM when going from 2 to 4 stroke?

Comment

the setting may also tell the tach that it is a 4 stroke and no remote or on motor oil tanks.
        But I am no positive if that is correct

Comment

OK, thank you guys. This is still only a possibility at this point (hopefully my lower comes off!). It sounds like it should work, though - that's good enough for me for now!

Comment

Working...
          X