70 hp. noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
    People might say this is "normal". I would not put up with it if it is so pronounced. It is the prop turning faster than the drive shaft (when decelerating), and it is the dog catching on a gear. Your drive box needs to be examined and setup (shimmed) properly failing that the gear shaft has not been inserted in the right spline location and that the shift cable has not been incorrectly adjusted.
    I agree 100% ^^^..

You should be able to turn off the engine in GEAR, AT SPEED, and the prop should NOT MOVE...

If it moves, the gears are obviously not engaged fully. Slight de-cel and clicking is slowly wearing away at the internals...

BTW, I PM'ed Boscoe re this thread, Rodbolt doesn't answer PM's..

I dunno, maybe certain models have this designed into them by accident, LU assembled on a late Friday, ??..
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

gear noises

Well,, I would need more info than the first post,, But a lot of LU if you turn motor off while running in gear will make a clunking noise...Dog clutches are so simple its past _____. yesterday I took The cap of a Mercruiser Bravo Three and the sliding clutch was cut in HALF...Bad,Bad work from a shop with BIG sign.....

Comment

if you can turn the prop by hand while in gear and it makes a clicking noise, then the water flowing past the prop will turn it also when you reduce the RPM. Clutch dog and gears are cut to hold in the direction the motor is putting force on them not the opposite way.

Think wind mill or water wheel, there are forces being put on prop from the water blasting by

Now, can you hear the clutch dog slipping past the notches, maybe or maybe not, depends on the conditions and the hearing of the operator

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
          People might say this is "normal". I would not put up with it if it is so pronounced. It is the prop turning faster than the drive shaft (when decelerating), and it is the dog catching on a gear. Your drive box needs to be examined and setup (shimmed) properly failing that the gear shaft has not been inserted in the right spline location and that the shift cable has not been incorrectly adjusted.
          Well this comes from a dealer who has only sold and service YAMAHA outboards long as I can recall....He says its because of the way the dog is made it will spin clockwise in gear while the motor is stopped and the clicking noise is the backside of the dog gear...I first heard it last week maybe while slowing down because it is on a center console boat and I was sitting rite in front the motor for the first time....I always stand...He did tell me if I wanted to pay to take it down he would be glad to take my money....As of now this is a dealer I trust and if it goes out soon I will go elsewhere...

Comment

Working...
          X