Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rigging help. Swapping old Yamaha 2 stroke for 4 stroke.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigging help. Swapping old Yamaha 2 stroke for 4 stroke.

So I've finally purchased a new to me 08 f60 to replace my old 2001 30 elrz 2smoke.
    The existing 703 binnacle lacks a tilt and trim switch as the elrz is a manual tilt. There are 3 wires with bullets coming off the control. If memory serves me well they are black yellow and green. No red. I imagine this is my TT connection.

​​​​​​So my question is do I need to purchase a new 703 or can I rig it up as it currently sits with the addition of a TT switch (most likely not on the throttle/shift lever)?

I can provide pics if it helps but it is pretty simple.
    Thanks
    Last edited by FlCastnblast; 01-28-2023, 12:43 PM.

You could use a seperate switch, have a talk to a dealer and see what's available that will be suitable.

Comment

normally on Yams ,
      black is ground,
      Yellow is key on power,
      and green is a tach signal

so maybe those were for a gauge

T&T is usuall Red, blue, and green

look at some prints

Comment

As 99Yam notes, the black, yellow and green wires are for a tachometer if one is used. Many don't.

Your 703 control box has a seven pin harness. As opposed to a ten pin harness. With the other three wires (red, sky blue, grass green) being used for trim and tilt.

Comment

Comment

Thanks for all the fast replies. This place is a wealth of information.

Would I be right to assume I'll need a 10pin adapter and I will also have to hard wire a tilt trim switch from the engine to somewhere else on the helm?

Or is it worth it to just pick up a 10 pin binnacle with the tilt built in... I found one for $115 local.
            Last edited by FlCastnblast; 01-28-2023, 05:02 PM.

Comment

I would go with the 703 control box that is intended to be used with your motor. The one with the ten pin harness and trim switch.

Comment

God only knows how a control box became known as a binnacle. Maybe it was from a control box being mounted on a binnacle?

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                  God only knows how a control box became known as a binnacle. Maybe it was from a control box being mounted on a binnacle?

You learn something new everyday. Today I learned at least 3 things. Thanks.
                  I think this thread has answered all my questions. I appreciate everyone's input. It has helped tremendously. The amount of searching Ive done on, just spinning my wheels trying to find an answer with limited knowledge and, as noted, a poor acumen regarding terms. It has been frustrating. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                  X