2016 F90LA Throttle Position Sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 F90LA Throttle Position Sensor

I’m needing to swap out my Throttle Position Sensor on my 90 HP 2016 motor. Are there any special tools I need to replace it? It looks like it’ll be a fairly straight forward swap but I didn’t know if there were any special settings or procedures I should follow. I’m not a mechanic but have always done the easier items such as changing oil, fuel filters, topping off grease fittings, even swapped out my lower end unit once. Any help would be appreciated.

Why do you need to replace the TPS?

​​​​​​Unusual.

Comment

your service manual for your motor will have the needed info and specs

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        Why do you need to replace the TPS?

​​​​​​Unusual.

When I try to crank it normally with the shift lever in neutral and throttle set to normal, the motor will turn over but it will not start. If I manually increase the throttle position on the shifting lever, it starts up no problem. After it warms up, I can move the throttle back to its normal position and it will start up fine. Once it sits for a while, I have to readjust the throttle again. I had a mechanic come and he tried adjusting the cabling but said that it needed a new TPS. I can get him to come back out but the cost of just the service call is 150 due to the distance. If I can do it and save that money, I’d like to.

Comment

I would think that maybe the TPS just needs an adjustment. Not a replacement.

What is the serial number of your motor?

Comment

He tried adjusting it and it didn’t make it much better. I’ve bought the sensor, just don’t have a service manual on how to replace it.

Comment

It is normally pretty complicated. Disconnect an electrical connector. Remove two screws. Remove the TPS.

Reverse the process.

Test the TPS for the proper output voltage.
              Last edited by boscoe99; 01-22-2023, 01:01 PM.

Comment

One thing to try is to disconnect and reconnect all electrical connectors. Several times. It might just help to make better electrical connectivity.

The even a blind hog finds an acorn now and again.

Surprised no TPS related code has been set.

Comment

Working...
                X