40 HP Yamaha Water Pump Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40 HP Yamaha Water Pump Problems

I spent a lot of time fishing shallow saltwater last summer and I must have filled the water pump with sand. I have not been able to flush the lower unit and fresh water. When I tried to last summer the water would not flow freely from the pee hole or the exhaust jets. The motor is a 1999 C40TLRX. Should I intall a water pump kit? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Seatrout,
    The pilot hole side discharge (aka pee stream, tell-tale) can get clogged up with debris very easily. Disconnect the hose from the plastic nipple that snaps into the lower cowling and tape it to the lower cowling so that it points downward. Then run the motor with the earmuffs to see if water flows freely out the hose. You can clean out the plastic nipple with heavy mono or a wire.
    If you do not get a good flow from the hose, then the water pump may indeed be getting weak. If the pump is at least three years old, I would do a kit install - especially since you run in a lot of shallow water.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Hi Ken. Thanks for your reply. I have already cleared the pee hole tube with little success. The water drips from the tube and very little water comes out of the exhaust. I removed the thermostat to see if it was corroded but with it removed the water flow did not change. I bought the motor in 1999 and to date I've not serviced the engine, other than to change the spark plugs. How complicated of a project is the water pump?

Thanks a million. Planning a family fishing vacation in June and want to be ready.

Kurt aka Seatrout

Comment

Kurt,
        You definitely need to do a water pump repair.
        It's not a difficult job if you are mechanically minded, but you need to get a Yamaha shop manual to guide you along. You can order online at www.yamahapubs.com.
        For your parts, the sponsor of this forum, boats.net is a great source - good prices and service.
        You might want to do what I did before my first water pump repair - I watched my mechanic (yeah, the one I go to when I am in over my head) do one on another model similar to mine. Helped a bunch.
        Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
        Ken K

Comment

Working...
        X