new F250 won't go past 2400rpm...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new F250 won't go past 2400rpm...

So I have now a problem with a new install. Twin F250 4.2L with C-cop.

Engines are reluctant to come "on line" i.e. to get those blue diodes lit I have to key off the ign. press the "lock" button on the remote, key in and sign for the y-cop faults, then press the unlock button and then the diodes come on.
    After that the engines start but will not rev past 2400rpm. There are no warnings or fault coeds on the screen.

After key of I have to do this all over.

Could these engines think they are stolen?

Reg, Gunnar

Have you tried using the steps mentioned to you in your other threads to set the system up properly??
    Where are you and the motors located?
    Iceland?

Very curious, How did both powerheads end up having to be replaced?
    did the rib flip?

Comment

Fuel restruction has been ruled out, fuel balls are fully "erect".

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      Have you tried using the steps mentioned to you in your other threads to set the system up properly??
      Where are you and the motors located?
      Iceland?

Very curious, How did both powerheads end up having to be replaced?
      did the rib flip?
      Yes, in Iceland.
      This is another boat, that problem was fixed by swapping out the ECU's from the previous sett.

The powerheads brokes rods from water intrusion thru the exhaust after pulling back the throttle. I have lost two sets i.e. 4 powerheads 1. sett after 8 months and 98hrs and the other one after 1year and 130hrs. Yamaha europe blamed the boat after set one, but after visiting and testing the boat (After sett two was put on) they o.k.ed the boat and install and blamed it on drivers error. After the 2. sett failed, on a bright sunny day with the boat full of international boat journalists, they still blamed the driver.We even had to buy the parts for the repair at full price.

Regards, Gunnar

Comment

Some of if not all of the larger heavy motors have a problem when backing down hard or quick stops, causing water to back up the exhaust from what I have read.

Rodboolt17 may post again and say which ones and why maybe.

But from what was posted in the other threads of yours, you need the laptop and software to set or reset the controls properly

Comment

its not a Y-cop issue.
          yes the 4.2 and the 5.3L v motors are picky about rapid throttle back and backing down.
          why? I don't know but I have done about 9 motors so far this year.

Comment

Ha,,Picky

How about just plain JUNK !!

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnar00 View Post
              So I have now a problem with a new install. Twin F250 4.2L with C-cop.

Engines are reluctant to come "on line" i.e. to get those blue diodes lit I have to key off the ign. press the "lock" button on the remote, key in and sign for the y-cop faults, then press the unlock button and then the diodes come on.
              After that the engines start but will not rev past 2400rpm. There are no warnings or fault coeds on the screen.

After key of I have to do this all over.

Could these engines think they are stolen?

Reg, Gunnar

Comment

I would guess fuel based on a "no codes" post.
                YDS,6y8 and 6y9 will show a trouble if its active.
                supposedly .
                primer bulbs being firm indicate the system doesn't leak.
                other than that it indicates nothing.
                but backing down hard with one engine or rapidly chopping the throttle can and will lead to water intrusion and bent rods.
                that is operator error.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                  but backing down hard with one engine or rapidly chopping the throttle can and will lead to water intrusion and bent rods.
                  that is operator error.
                  Quick slight re-rail.

Does the chopping the throttle hard apply to certain models or most models (water intrusion issues)??
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

so far, just the 4.2L and the 5.3L.

Comment

I thought the 3.3l F250 was also known for getting water up the exhaust.

Mercury Verado's as well.

Comment

Thank you!
                        Scott
                        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

only 3.3L I have seen do it the guy went from 4700 RPM to reverse in one motion.
                          and admitted it.

Comment

Thank You Boscoe99 for that snip, it will come in handy.

I dragged the yamaha rep with his laptop on board but the only thing he could do with his software was reset the R/C unit, read codes and small stuff like that, but that did nothing for me. we did how ever find out that when I unplugged the Y-cop unit, the engines behaved the same, but with error code 86 for the imobilyser. The same error that I have to sign for when I turn the ing. key on.

I also tried a WOT run with cowling removed and noted that the throttle did not open more than 1/8 of what you'd expect in WOT.

I would like to reset both engines and R/C unit and discard the #%!!& Y-cop unit. Is that something that a Yamaha service rep would be able to or do I need to ship the ECU's and R/C to Sweden???

Comment

The problem has been solved, thanks for all your help.

I removed the Y-cop, replaced the R/C unit with another new one that I had laying around (thanks to that hydrolock thing), and had my Yamaha teck reset the R/C, and wolla! the engines came online and run like there supposed to.

Now the R/C unit needs to go to Sweden for "theft recovery reset" and the Y-cop unit goes strait to the bin....

Small video and info on the sister vessle https://player.vimeo.com/video/137590321

Gunnar Sigurdsson

Comment

Working...
                              X