Ox66 making strange noise .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ox66 making strange noise .

Lately my so call bullet proof 2000 ox66 150hp make strange noise . Seem like almost a rattling noise . It only make this noise when I run the motor 4000rpm or greater. I search the net all night but couldn't find anything regarding to it. I ran it with out the cover can't really tell where it coming from. Once I put the cover back on I can hear it. Seem like the noise coming from top around the flywheel. I did all the basic check . Compression check out good. I'm at lost with noise. I did talk to a mechanic . He think it upper bearing. He want to pull the head and look inside. To me motor not knocking or any kind of internal noise from the powerhead.

why would he wish to pull a head if you suspect a bearing?

I would pull the O2 sensor and inspect the draw tube.

but if I did suspect an upper main bearing I would use my dial indicator the check it.

Comment

Rodbolt , I pull the O2 sensor and the dog bone and housing. They look clean. What noise would a upper bearing make if it going bad. I don't hear any knocking or clicking sound .

Thanks

Comment

maybe he was referring to power head not the cylinder heads

a stethoscope may help locate where the noise is coming from

Comment

WTF is a dog bone?

Comment

Sorry rodbolt17 I meant the draw tube . Thank for all your help . I didn't want to full around with this 15 years old motor . So I just going to repower with a 4 stroke. These 150 hp 4 stroke cost almost $15000 with rigging .

Comment

Originally posted by Offshore_life View Post
              Lately my so call bullet proof 2000 ox66 150hp make strange noise . Seem like almost a rattling noise . It only make this noise when I run the motor 4000rpm or greater. I search the net all night but couldn't find anything regarding to it. I ran it with out the cover can't really tell where it coming from. Once I put the cover back on I can hear it. Seem like the noise coming from top around the flywheel. I did all the basic check . Compression check out good. I'm at lost with noise. I did talk to a mechanic . He think it upper bearing. He want to pull the head and look inside. To me motor not knocking or any kind of internal noise from the powerhead.
              I personally think bullet proof motors are only good if people are shooting at you, (or likely to) being bullet proof matters little if a bearing goes hey?

Comment

Working...
              X