X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok
    just an up date
    CDI checks out ok
    i have removed every ground wire, cleaned and applied with Dialectric grease !!
    low and behold
    we have a spark
    looks like a bad/ dirty ground
    I will keep all posted
    cheers
    Triumph guy

Comment

37 year old motor, not to be unexpected.

Comment

I’m not sure if this loaded
        all running now
        baked CDI in oven
        also Dialectric on all ground connections
        Now great spark
        fires up no problem
        so was it ground connection or oven at 150c for 60 minutes….
        who cares
        all working
        cheers to forum

Comment

No idea why you would bake components in the oven? Best guess it was a wiring issue and just pulling it to bits has fixed the connection, let's hope permanently!

Comment

Glad you got it running.. But ,, Not knowing the issue can bite you in the butt.. Sorta like trowing darts in the dark !! Hopefully,, she just keeps on Ticking till after your gone

Comment

The issue was I had no spark
              So do the earths
              So bake CDI…. Can’t damage anymore
              So now I have spark
              Suggest it was bad earth
              I am actually an electrician so do have a wee clue about testing etc
              Cheers

Comment

Glad you got her going, Now go get some FISH. BTW,, highest percentage of my repair, Diagnostics &​​​ Trouble Shooting is Fireman and Electricians. Storming here in central Calif. Fluke 88A & 77lll, also a load pro (nice) with a hand held KV tester and about every test tool CDI electronics sold or sell today... 110 or 220 is easy and not exposed to a marine salt water bath. Plus you can grab parts off a shelf. Two complete different birds!!!
                Last edited by Keithbaja; 01-09-2023, 05:44 AM.

Comment

yes cleaning and baking electrical stuff helps sometimes, we did that to a lot of motors in the plants when rebuilding them, but we also dipped them afterwards to seal them back up & back into the oven to dry before putting them back together.
                  I believe it was a bad ground also

Comment

No one has said why or what “baking” does?

I take it is to dry out the component although I can imagine warming up solder joints to melting point may cure “dry” joints that can occur over time (difficult to find as they are actually corrosion between solder alloy and the copper beneath) We used to run suspect circuit boards over a solder bath again as was done in the first place in the manufacture.
                    However I don’t think it wise to use such high temperatures as other things may melt.

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
                      No one has said why or what “baking” does?

I take it is to dry out the component although I can imagine warming up solder joints to melting point may cure “dry” joints that can occur over time (difficult to find as they are actually corrosion between solder alloy and the copper beneath) We used to run suspect circuit boards over a solder bath again as was done in the first place in the manufacture.
                      However I don’t think it wise to use such high temperatures as other things may melt.
                      yes, driving out the moisture was the main reason for baking the electric motors.
                      and possible coils them selves, but now with electronics encased in a potting compound I not sure.

but I have also pulled the radio main board out of my 2014 F150 many times to stick it into an oven at 400F to cook for a few minutes to get it working again.
                      I am sure it is a solder problem; I just cannot figure out what or where the problem is located.

It pops loudly from speakers and quits putting out any sound, sometimes it come right back,
                      but if it stays with no sound for a day or 2, out it comes and into the oven again.

One of these days it is not going to come back to life, and I will have to get a new one
                      Last edited by 99yam40; 01-10-2023, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X