motor died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motor died

I was out fishing yesterday and I started my motor up to change spots, gave it the throttle and went about 50 ft. and it sounded like I hit something with the prop and it killed the motor, whenI tried to restart it it ran real rough for a few seconds and then stalled, did this a few times, when I got home I checked it out, there is a chip in the prop, checked the flywheel key it is ok, it has spark, just wondering where to look next, could the timing have been knocked out? Any help would be great. Oh yes, it is a 1985 90hp.

mossboss,
    I guess it is possible that the timing could have been affected by the hit, but don't think it is likely. You need to check the timing per the Yamaha shop manual to be sure.
    You also need to check the prop shaft to make sure it is not bent. You can manually spin the prop with the motor in neutral and observe the center of the prop shaft - you don't want any wobble. It takes a pretty good hit to bend the shaft, and from what you have described about the prop, I don't think it will be, but check it just in case.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Sounds like you may have done a piston, check static compression, if its ok then look for electrical problems.

Comment

Working...
      X