noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noise

My 1998 Yamaha 25 hp, 2 cyl, 2 cycle outboard motor model # 25ELRW has recently started making an intermittent whirring noise. The noise seems to happen with the engine in or out of gear and at low RPMs. It seems to be coming from deep in the mid engine area. To me it sounds like a bearing, it will run for several days with no noise, and than just start acting up out of nowhere. It only lasts a few seconds and will go away on its own. Shifting it in and out of gear will sometimes stop the noise. I'm capable of tearing this engine down but would like to see if anyone on the forum has an idea where to start looking?

update-- noise coming from lower unit.

Comment

The inner workings of tearing down a gear set are beyond me. BUT... have you checked the condition (and level) of the gear oil?
      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

if the lower unit has had water in it in the past, there is a very good chance the bearings and maybe gears have rust pits that are getting worse

Comment

I'm not going to attempt this repair, I'll let a mechanic tear it down and hopefully bring it back to life. I'll report back with the results. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X