No Forward or reverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Forward or reverse

I have a 2006 Yamaha 90 TLR 2 stroke that I recently replaced the water pump on but then when I tried to take it for a spin I didn't have forward or reverse. The water pump worked great and everything else worked great.

When I got the boat back home I noticed that when I spun the prop by hand the shaft spun freely without hearing the usual gear clatter, the tic tic tic that it makes as though it was in contact with the gears..... Can anyone tell me what happened here, where did I go wrong?

I suspect that upon reinstallation of the lower unit that the shift shaft and the shift rod splines failed to engage. A common problem.

Comment

Thats what I was thinking too

Im always second guessing my work, Thanks for your reply! I will try again this weekend hopefully with an extra pair of hands as to make sure everything gets connected.

Comment

What I do is once I have just one bolt holding the lower unit in place, I double check that the shift function works as intended. If so, I then install and tighten all of the rest of the fasteners. If not, I only have but one bolt to remove to lower the lower unit.

It is no fun getting to the ramp and into the water only to find you can't shift the motor.

Comment

When you get the lower unit off, rotate the prop shaft while shifting the splined shifter shaft to ensure you're in neutral...then put your motor remote control in the neutral position....that way, when you get her all bolted up your gear shifting will be coordinated....good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
            When you get the lower unit off, rotate the prop shaft while shifting the splined shifter shaft to ensure you're in neutral...then put your motor remote control in the neutral position....that way, when you get her all bolted up your gear shifting will be coordinated....good luck!
            I don't think this is a case of the splines being engaged but out of phase. I see this as the motor and the shift handle are both in neutral but the male splines simply failed to go up and into the female splines. The shift shaft is a bit fiddly and can move around a bit. Not uncommon to simply miss getting the stiff rod into the movable hole.

But, anything is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
              I don't think this is a case of the splines being engaged but out of phase. I see this as the motor and the shift handle are both in neutral but the male splines simply failed to go up and into the female splines. The shift shaft is a bit fiddly and can move around a bit. Not uncommon to simply miss getting the stiff rod into the movable hole.

But, anything is possible.
              Yep, I get that....just wanted him to double check his neutral before re-assembly...just to be sure...

Comment

impeller install

I have seen Soo many toasted pwr heads from guys watching You Tube Vids about impeller replacement R N R..there is way more to the water pump system than just a impeller..and if your not a pro with many,many years doing it,, its so easy to miss something that you did not even had a clue about..guess I'm getting old enough about this biz to say the truth about motors that no one wants to hear..So Be it...BTW, I have also seen many,many "shops" with a big sign.. do some of the worst F/ups you could ever imagine..whats your choice,,,talk to other boaters and ASK,ASK,ASK for a guy with the Reputation......

Comment

Working...
                X