Change Engine Oil Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change Engine Oil Question.

I have a 2019 Yamaha F40LA outboard. I change my engine oil using an oil extractor. However, I wait for the oil to be removed before removing the oil filter.

Should the oil filter be removed as the oil is being extracted?? Or should the oil be extracted first before changing the oil filter? Just want to know what you guys do. I heard that removing the oil filter, after extracting oil, could spill oil into the oil pan. My oil filter is side mounted and I think this is not an issue. Thanks for your help.

Personally, before changing a horizontal filter,
    I like to use an awl to punch a "drain" hole on the bottom,
    and a "vent" hole on the upper side,
    and capture what's inside the filter into a shallow tray.

Less to sop up with paper towels when I unscrew it...

Comment

Draining the oil before or after removing the filter isn't really the question. It's simply waiting long enough for the oil to drain out of the filter before removing the filter so it's not messy. A few minutes (with a warm engine) for "filter drainage" is usually all that's needed. Once that's done, you can remove it. It will drain faster with a hole on the topside (vent), but not really necessary.

That said, there's more than one way to skin a cat and one way isn't really better than the other - unless you're unscrewing the filter right after running the engine, of course - but that's just silly A lot of this just comes down to personal preference so don't put too much thought into it.
      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Oh... I still always stuff a rag or two underneath just in case!
        2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
        1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

from what I have read, some filters have anti drain back valves in them to keep the oil from draining back to the sump so they do not need to filled back up each time the motor starts.
          but I have no idea which ones

Comment

Working...
          X