Tilt motor doesn't go up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tilt motor doesn't go up

I have a 1998 250 hp ox66. I disconnected the tilt/trim motor wires from the motor so I could replace the trim sensor, and when I reconnected the tilt/trim motor it would only go down. I'm certain I connected everything exactly as it was. Any suggestions?

aquadj,
    I would check the connector where you disconnected the t/t motor wires - sounds like a bad crimped or corroded connector.
    Do you have a t/t switch on the remote control handle and on the motor cowling? Neither one will work for the up position?
    When you energize the t/t switch(es) for the up position, do you hear a relay clicking on the motor?
    Ken K [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Ken, I have up/down switches on the motor cover, lower and upper stations - and none will raise the motor, yet all will lower the motor. I've rechecked my connections thinking maybe I left a ground wire off or something, but everything is fastened securely. Dave

Comment

Dave,
        I would use a voltmeter and monitor the voltage on the coil of the up relay when a t/t switch is energized - if you are getting 12 volts there, then check voltage on the contact that has the wire leading back to the t/t motor. If you are getting 12 volts on the coil but not on the wiper contact, then you have a bad relay. If you are getting 12 volts on the wire that leads to the t/t
        motor, then you either have a bad motor or bad wiring to the motor.
        I am going to email you a schematic of a typical t/t system - it may help you troubleshoot.
        Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
        Ken K

Comment

Here's the follow-up to the tilt/trim problem. After checking voltage, proper wire connections, and ruling out a bad motor by switching wires, I suspected a bad solenoid. I've replaced the relay assembly (solenoid), and everything is working perfect. I'm not sure if anything I did caused the failure or if it was just coincidental, but it's fixed. Thanks Ken - for putting me in the right direction.

Comment

Working...
          X