Kill switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kill switch

Wondering if there is a kill switch that can be bought without having to use the lanyard type kill switch. I know other manufactures use just a push button type of kill switch. If there isn't can someone explain my problem? If I use my old clip on the motor I can push the red button to turn the motor off but I had to purchase a new clip due to the old one starting to wear. Now with the new clip I am unable to push the red button in to shut the motor off the only way to shut the motor off is to pull the clip.

Sounds like the wrong lanyard is being used.

But now if you are asking if another push button kill switch can be added, then absolutely positively. Just get a normally open momentarily closed switch and wire it to the existing switch.

What is the complete model identity of your motor? Different motors may use different kill switch lanyards.

Comment

With the clip in place, 'should' you be able to still push the red button to kill the engine? Granted, I haven't seen every single type of kill switch there is, but with all of the ones I've seen, once the clip is on it prevents the button from being pushed. Isn't that the purpose of the clip - to keep the button from being pushed? Maybe your old clip was, as you mentioned, worn and allowed that to happen?

Doesn't your motor have another "off" button somewhere?

Like I mentioned, I could very well be wrong with my line of thinking, but I'm curious to here about this.
      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
        With the clip in place, 'should' you be able to still push the red button to kill the engine? Granted, I haven't seen every single type of kill switch there is, but with all of the ones I've seen, once the clip is on it prevents the button from being pushed. Isn't that the purpose of the clip - to keep the button from being pushed? Maybe your old clip was, as you mentioned, worn and allowed that to happen?

Doesn't your motor have another "off" button somewhere?

Like I mentioned, I could very well be wrong with my line of thinking, but I'm curious to here about this.
        Some Yams use a combination switch. With the lanyard installed then pushing the button in, even with the lanyard attached, will kill the motor. I am guessing this is what the OP has.

Comment

"kill " switch

I would order the correct kill switch as that the right way to go..and stay away from "Worst Marine"

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
            Some Yams use a combination switch. With the lanyard installed then pushing the button in, even with the lanyard attached, will kill the motor. I am guessing this is what the OP has.
            Ah, I see. I have never seen one those before. Thank you for the explanation!
            2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
            1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I will be looking into possibly finding/ordering a different kill switch. I am thinking of one that does not have to use the lanyard. I just don't like the lanyard. Doesn't anyone recommend what type to order or where to order one from that does not require a lanyard.

Comment

How can anyone suggest a non-standard switch when it is unknown what brand or model of motor that you have?

Now a switch is going to be much more expensive than simply getting the correct lanyard. And when you get thrown out of the boat the motor will keep running. The boat will go into auto-circle until it can find and run you down.

Keep a note of good bye somewhere for those that you leave behind. They will appreciate it.

Comment

I will get the model number off the motor this weekend and post it so that you will be able to help me out. Thanks for the sarcasm in your response I really enjoyed it.

Comment

Sounds like the wrong lanyard is being used.

But now if you are asking if another push button kill switch can be added, then absolutely positively. Just get a normally open momentarily closed switch and wire it to the existing switch.

What is the complete model identity of your motor? Different motors may use different kill switch lanyards.
                    The year boat motor is 1985
                    The model number is 25sk

Does that help?

Comment

Originally posted by Reddogsram View Post
                      The year boat motor is 1985
                      The model number is 25sk

Does that help?
                      Yes it does,;

1985 25SK Yamaha Outboard Parts

Part 5 is your current kill switch;

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...IES/parts.html

I don't know why you couldn't simply wire in a Marine toggle switch in place of the factory switch.. A simple on/off...
                      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 09-13-2015, 07:39 PM.
                      Scott
                      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                        Yes it does,;

1985 25SK Yamaha Outboard Parts

Part 5 is your current kill switch;

1985 25SK Yamaha Outboard OPTIONAL PARTS SWITCH PANEL-RIGGING ACCESSORIES Diagram and Parts

I don't know why you couldn't simply wire in a Marine toggle switch in place of the factory switch.. A simple on/off...
                        You could. But then you would not have a device that stops the motor if you get thrown from the boat.

So, back to my sarcasm that was intended to get a point across, if someone decides to remove the kill switch and lanyard.

"Keep a note of good bye somewhere for those that you leave behind. They will appreciate it."

And if you decide to wear your vest then they will be able to find the body.

Comment

You could. But then you would not have a device that stops the motor if you get thrown from the boat.

So, back to my sarcasm that was intended to get a point across, if someone decides to remove the kill switch and lanyard.

"Keep a note of good bye somewhere for those that you leave behind. They will appreciate it."

And if you decide to wear your vest then they will be able to find the body.
                          I read all of that... And I agree,.

BUT, the OP wants a simple, NON-safety switch.

He re-iterated that in response to your post. He apparently knows the ramifications.. The above should work for his wishes...
                          Scott
                          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                            I read all of that... And I agree,.

BUT, the OP wants a simple, NON-safety switch.

He re-iterated that in response to your post. He apparently knows the ramifications.. The above should work for his wishes...
                            So can you be found responsible if he dies or is hurt because you told him how to bypass a safety system in recorded info for anyone to see?
                            Too much lawyer stuff going on now a days, be careful

Comment

I think the OP changed his mind about wanting a simple on/off switch after he thought about it a bit. Maybe my sarcasm helped.

"I will get the model number off the motor this weekend and post it so that you will be able to help me out. Thanks for the sarcasm in your response I really enjoyed it."

Comment

Working...
                              X