Battery Voltage After Starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Voltage After Starting

How quickly after starting my engine (hpdi) should I expect to see the voltage climb to 13 or above? I currently start the engine and it will stay in the low 12s for maybe a minute before climbing to 13. Battery was at 12.7 prior to starting.

Too many variables for me to hazard a guess. All HPDI's are not alike.

Yamaha has never published a specific voltage, or time for that voltage to be seen, that I know of.

If you are seeing 13 plus volts on the battery then the charging system is working.

Now on an older motor you might see some improvements if you were to inspect and clean all electrical connections from the lighting coil connections all the way to the battery.

Comment

The boat is 18 years old. I did some voltage drop tests and inspected the battery cables. I’m getting a 2 volt drop from the battery to the starter while cranking. I’m going to go ahead and replace the cables as they are probably original to the boat.

Comment

Originally posted by jrchandler View Post
        The boat is 18 years old. I did some voltage drop tests and inspected the battery cables. I’m getting a 2 volt drop from the battery to the starter while cranking. I’m going to go ahead and replace the cables as they are probably original to the boat.
        Other than what you are viewing on gauge and meter, are you having any other issues? Cranking, frequent battery replacement, etc?

Did you use a meter to check charging voltage directly on the battery or batteries? I've noticed the voltage shown on the Yamaha guage seems to be lower than what is actually measured at battery.
        Last edited by pstephens46; 09-06-2022, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Recently it has been starting with a low idle and it will barely stay running. While it is barely running, the voltmeter lingers around 12.0 - 12.2. I’ve added a separate voltmeter to the boat. Battery measures 12.7 after sitting for a few days. I measured 11.6 at the battery while cranking and 9.5 at the starter.

Comment

there is a problem with the motor if it starts at a very low idle .
            need to find out why that is going on

Comment

Working...
            X