150TXRA bogging surging above 4000 RPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150TXRA bogging surging above 4000 RPM

20 hours after a complete fuel system overhaul my engine is bogging/surging above 4000 RPM. The details of the fuel sys overhaul was: professionally cleaned tank, all new lines from the tank to carbs, rebuilt all 3 carbs including ultra sonic cleaning the bodies, both new fuel pumps, new h2o separator filter and on board filter, pulled and cleaned both oil tanks, new inline filter past aux tank, everything set/sync link per service manual. Only ethanol free gas w ring free since. Was running like a top until a couple of weeks ago. Last week I noticed some stumbling at higher RPM but the ocean was tossed and it was slow going so it did effect me much. I drained the carb bowls (only clean gas came out) and sprayed out high speed jets thinking that would do it. This weekend I went out seas were flatter so I was trying to get up higher in the RPMs the engine bogs and surges once above 4000 RPM. Primer bulb was firm when this was happening. So is it carb cleaning time again? Is there anything else to check before I go pulling the carbs?

Might check to see if air is being sucked into the fuel pumps causing carbs to run out of fuel, but I would think pumping the primer while running would help that situation.
    Maybe you have plugs or plug wires going bad

Comment

Not sure if this is the issue but found top fuel pump has a leak. The reason I say I'm not sure if this is the issue is because where it is leaking into a passage for one of the mounting bolts. I tested it by leaving all hoses in place and just unbolting the pumps one at a time. I then squeezed the primer bulb and could see the gas squirting out of the bolt hole. I'll replace the pump and see how she does.

Note this pump only has 20 hours on it. My motor doesn't have cough/sneeze issues (which I know is tough on the pump membranes) other than the bogging/surging in the last two trips so I am thinking I just got a crappy pump.

99yam40 I also pulled the spark plug boots and ohmed them out, pulled coils and checked for bad broken wires, cleaned coil and CDI grounds.
      Last edited by cheetah chrome; 06-09-2016, 09:42 PM.

Comment

That looks kind of crusty for only 20 hours of run time.

Without the bolts to hold the parts in compression they will leak some times.

might try changing the plugs just to make sure one is not going bad

may be Rodbolt17 will drop in and give you some expert advice
        Last edited by 99yam40; 09-11-2015, 09:02 AM.

Comment

+1 ^^^ ..

If fuel comes out when pumped, air's getting in when underway...

Those NEW fuel pumps or just rebuilt/re-manufactured?? Agreed with 99Yam it certainly doesn't look new.
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

don't even have to remove the pump, if you do YOU MUST use 2 nuts and bolts to clamp the pump again.
            get someone with good hearing ,have them listen at the pumps while someone pumps the primer. if the ball gets hard all is well,if it wont then either a carb needle,filter cup oring or a pump is leaking fuel.
            my guess is the fuel system(carbs) of full of trash again.

Comment

Working...
            X