Replace 10 Pin Connectors at engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace 10 Pin Connectors at engine

My motor wasn't starting and I finally traced to my 10 pin connection. Water somehow got into my 10 pin harness connection inside my 2006 F150 Yamaha outboard. It's so corroded that a pin broke when I pulled them apart.

Should I replace the 10 pin connectors, or just direct wire? Is there a better option?

Replace 10 Pin pro/con: The connectors don't appear to be sold individually, but I think I can repurpose a 6 foot extension that is about $60 from Amazon (link here). This option will allow motor to be removed more easily in the future, but I don't anticipate removing the engines much, maybe 1-2 times in the next few years. This approach would put more wire inside the motor (2 sets of connectors).

Direct Connect pro/con: This is easiest and cheapest approach. I am likely to buy new engines in <5 years, and don't expect to remove the engines much. So a couple cycles of connecting/cutting/re-connecting seems tolerable. The nagging worry is that there are only a couple inches of wire at the motor side connector, so it can't handle many cycles of this.

Thanks in advance for your insights and suggestions!!

What additional suggestions would you like?

Comment

Replace the connector...you will be glad you did when the time comes.

Comment

Which option would you recommend? Are there other considerations that I'm not thinking about?

I'm inclined to do temporary fix (3 months) of just wiring directly via crimps. And then put in new harnesses in winter time when boat isn't being used much. Is this short-sighted?

Comment

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...ng-advice.html

Comment

Working...
          X