f250b 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• f250b 2008

starboard engine will not start, i can hear the high pressure fuel pump cut out after a few seconds but i can hear another continuous noise from the other side of the engine, i have replaced both fuel pumps recently and i have powered the low pressure pump from a battery and filled the vst and the engine will run until it runs out of fuel in the vst, i know the ecu turns power on and off but this continuous noise like a relay type of noise just keeps on going, any thoughts on what this may be? Ed

Originally posted by straitin View Post
    this continuous noise like a relay type of noise just keeps on going, any thoughts on what this may be?
    the "electronic throttle" mechanism, always powered when the key is on

"starboard engine will not start"
    "I filled the vst and the engine will run until it runs out of fuel in the vst"

I'm not entirely understanding what you are saying there -
    of course once you run out of fuel in the VST, the engine will not start...

How did you "fill the VST"?
    do you have a primer bulb in the fuel line to that engine?
    that should allow you to fill the VST - and keep it full while the engine runs

Comment

if the low pressure pump runs and pumps fuel when hooked to a battery, but the ECU does not tell it to run when the motor is running the VST will run out of fuel

a relay does not normally make a continuous noise, so you need to explain better
      Last edited by 99yam40; 08-20-2022, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        a relay does not normally make a continuous noise, so you need to explain better
        There is no mystery about the sound;
        the electronic throttle body on the F250 makes a constant discernible buzz
        whenever the key is on.

Comment

Hi All
          Thank you for your input and i apologise for the late thank you"s, now back after surgery on knees, still having issues with fuel pump, key on no power to pump, check fuse,ok, check relay ,ok, hp pump will run with external power to fill vst, as i understand the ecu supplies the ground to activate the pump but i have no power at the red wire which connects to pump, there is power to the fuse. would this be an ecu issue and is there a way to check this.
          thank you
          ED

Comment

need to follow the wire to see where the 12v + disappears

Comment

Hi All
              I have found that the fuel pump does not run at key on but will run when the starter is engaged. so i have determined that both HP pump and LP pump are working as they should so i have reassembled the motor and gave it a quick start to see if it would run and it fired up, turned it off and proceeded to the wash tank to run it properly, went to start it and NOTHING, turned over would not start so i pulled the ECU from the other motor along with all the relays but still the same outcome, i am thinking maybe wiring or connectors but am at a loss as to how to proceed, all advice welcomed.
              Ed

Comment

Is the good motor activating the HP pump when the key is first turned on?

HP pump being the one in the VST. The LP pump does not run until the motor is cranked and running.

Comment

If you jumper the HP pump to force it to run will the motor start up?

Comment

when key is turned on the pump in the vst runs, to test i disconnected the hose to the rail and put a container under it to catch fuel, when i cranked the motor fuel filled the container so all seems to be ok there, then i reassembled everything and gave it a quick hit at starting and it did run, stopped it and took it to flush tank to run it properly and it just cranked but would not start, both pumps are brand new because i thought one or the other had failed but i now think the problem is something else,
                    the problem arose on a trip where i stopped the motor after running to fishing spot but would not start to come home.

Comment

Originally posted by straitin View Post
                      when key is turned on the pump in the vst runs, to test i disconnected the hose to the rail and put a container under it to catch fuel, when i cranked the motor fuel filled the container so all seems to be ok there, then i reassembled everything and gave it a quick hit at starting and it did run, stopped it and took it to flush tank to run it properly and it just cranked but would not start, both pumps are brand new because i thought one or the other had failed but i now think the problem is something else,
                      the problem arose on a trip where i stopped the motor after running to fishing spot but would not start to come home.
                      so now you are saying the the fuel pumps run as they should, but the motor will not start?
                      if so check to see if the rail is in spec with pressure and that spark is happening to all plugs.
                      need to know what you need to chase

Comment

Working...
                      X