1985 115hp Fuel starving problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 115hp Fuel starving problem

Motor starts and runs fine, but over 3000 rpm it will soon seem to starve for fuel and if I don't back off of the throttle it will stall and need prime to start again. This has been going on for some time and is getting worse...now will happen in less than 1/4 mile.

I checked the fuel, tank intake and the filter and all seem ok. Is this most likely the fuel pump, carb problem?????

fuel pump or sucking air letting carbs run out of fuel

Comment

Many Thanks.

Sucking air would likely be a problem with the intake line (from tank to pump)?

Comment

Having a similar issue with my 1984 30hp AE model in a similar post. Curious to hear how your issue turns out.

Comment

Long story:
          Replaced fuel line from tank to motor. New was rigged for a portable tank so I had to reverse hoses to bulb. Trial run seemed OK until I made a left turn, and motor started to die. Noticed kink in bulb-motor hose...too short.
          Replaced with longer old hose which seemed OK....ran a bit then died.
          Mechanic agreed that probably not pump since it has been going on a long time and should have just died by now. He did R&R on carbs. Tested....same thing still happening. OK, Replace fuel pump. Ran bit a longer, but died out within a 1/4 mile at speed. Everything replaced! Stumped.

Noticed that bulb would pressurize fine, but when left for a few minutes I could hear a gurgle on the first pump. Leaking somewhere? Then remembered that when I put the old hose on I did not remove the old connector to motor. Replaced that with a new one....and runs like a top.

Comment

Working...
          X