1987 115 V4 misfires below 3000 rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 115 V4 misfires below 3000 rpm

I had my first run today with used boat/engine but below 3000 rpm the engine misfires and runs rough. above 3000 rpm it's like being hit by a cannonball an it runs great! I tried to turn out the pilot screws to 5/8 turns but it wouldnt run at all... I had to turn out the pilotscrews 24/8 to get her running

Is the timing way of? the spark plugs are all new.

3 words....

clean them carbs...

Comment

ok, thanks!

is this a common problem?

Comment

is a problem if the motor sits for any length of time,month or more. remove the intake breather,when running, use a finger to simulate choking each throat to find the clogged carb or it can be all. break them down as far as possible,soak parts and use a good carb cleaner to clear all orifices.

Comment

ok, I'll try that.. the engine have been sittin all winter out in the cold snow

Comment

aeomholt,
            Carbed motors do not like being left just sitting - they will gum up quickly.
            I try to run mine on average once a week - either fishing or just with the earmuffs on the driveway.
            I like to use a detergent like SeaFoam about every third tank - added to the fuel it will clean out the carbs and loosen up carbon.
            If you can't run your motor in the winter, then you need to follow the storage procedure in the owner's manual.
            Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
            Ken K

Comment

Thanks guys! i'm all new to these things [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X