Wiring Diagram (Yamaha Gauges)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Diagram (Yamaha Gauges)

I am looking for wiring diagrams for ignition and gauges for 1989 Yamaha 200s ETXF and LETXFs.

Have 3 older lcd marine meters...
    2 tachs working fine....
    Other one with (speed, trip, time and gas pump icon) across top...
    and (temp, battery and gas pump icon) below...
    Fuel gauge (bar graph) is vertically to the right...
    Set and Mode buttons below

My dilemna(s) are...
    Fuel gauge bars do not display and fuel pump icon flashes constantly, random numbers flash at times they display goes blank...there is fuel in tank...

Has anyone had a similar problem or is anyone aware of such wiring diagrams...
    No model numbers on gauges to reference...

Thanks

With respect to fuel quantity all of the Yamaha digital display multi-function gauges operate the same. A white wire and a black wire from the gauge are connected to a pink (usually) wire and a black wire respectively at the fuel quantity sender. Which some will say should be called a rheostat.

To test the gauge connect the black wire to the white wire at the tachometer. The bars should all illuminate indicating a full fuel tank. Disconnect the black wire and the bars should disappear except for the bottom bar which will flash.

If the tachometer indicates good then you have a wiring problem or a sender problem. Verify continuity on both the wires that go to the tank using your multi-meter. Verify that the sender works properly by verifying that it outputs the correct resistance with the float up and the float down. Senders are notorious for being a problem.

What in the heck is the fuel pump icon that is flashing? Fuel pump for what pump? A photo would be nice.

Now if the entire display is coming and going intermittently then I would inspect the yellow wire and the black wire to the speedometer. Yellow is for 12 volts and black is for ground. As you know when the gauge is first turned on all digits are illuminated. If power or ground is lost but then recovered you will see digits appear and then disappear.

Comment

Flashing fuel pump means there is a gas pump in the display that flashes constantly..

Comment

Does your speedometer look like this one?

The pump icon that I am familiar with is printed above the display section. It does not and can not flash.

Comment

No..
          For reference it is the third picture down in this url....
          Yamaha Tachs and LCD Marine Meter - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Comment

Last edited by Autumnwind; 09-03-2015, 04:35 PM. Reason: Duplicate post

Comment

OK, that is a slightly earlier version of the speedometer that I depicted.

I presume that you are talking about the gasoline pump icon in the LCD display and not the one above the fuel quantity bars.

Do the test that I indicated to get all of the quantity bars to appear. I am guessing that the pump icon will stop flashing. That speedometer is before my Yamaha time.

Comment

To all...
                Thanks for your responses and suggestions should have enough to go by...
                I'll keep you posted..

Comment

Boscoe99....
                  Did the test on the gauge and it did just as you said it would when I connected black and white wire (Bar graph displayed full tank)....
                  The white wire was not connected to anything so when I disconnected the two it went back to no reading and a flashing gas pump in the lcd display...
                  Where does the white wire go?

Comment

white wire goes to post terminal on fuel tank sending unit. Black wire goes to sender ground. Look at your fuel gauge sender/float where it`s mounted on the tank and see the wire.

look for them under the helm station.
                    02 Sea Hunt Triton 172
                    02 Yamaha 90HP O/B

Comment

Originally posted by Autumnwind View Post
                      Boscoe99....
                      Did the test on the gauge and it did just as you said it would when I connected black and white wire (Bar graph displayed full tank)....
                      The white wire was not connected to anything so when I disconnected the two it went back to no reading and a flashing gas pump in the lcd display...
                      Where does the white wire go?
                      The white wire from the speedometer usually goes to a pink wire that runs to and is connected to the tank quantity sender. Ideally there will be a hatch in the boat that can be removed so you can gain access to the tanker sender. Or, a rheostat if you will.

Here is another diagram for you:

Comment

Have not had the opportunity to address this as of yet...
                        Early upcoming week I will do this...

Boscoe99 where can I find color coded Yamaha diagrams like the one above for my application..
                        1989 Yamahas (200ETXF & L200ETXF)...Grady White 252 Sailfish...
                        At the end of October boat goes in storage and I intended on stripping down and rewiring the boat to spec and replace ignitions, instrument panel..and possibly gauges..
                        Diagrams such as these will make it so much easier...

Comment

Originally posted by Autumnwind View Post
                          Have not had the opportunity to address this as of yet...
                          Early upcoming week I will do this...

Boscoe99 where can I find color coded Yamaha diagrams like the one above for my application..
                          1989 Yamahas (200ETXF & L200ETXF)...Grady White 252 Sailfish...
                          At the end of October boat goes in storage and I intended on stripping down and rewiring the boat to spec and replace ignitions, instrument panel..and possibly gauges..
                          Diagrams such as these will make it so much easier...
                          No where that I know of. Yamaha diagrams for your vintage stuff was all black and white.

Now there are ABYC colours and there are Yamaha colours.

Here is a link to ABYC.

http://www.defender.com/pdf/abyc-wire-color-chart.pdf

Here are some primary Yamaha wire colors.

OUTBOARD WIRE COLOR CODE KEY
                          Code Color Primary Usage
                          B Black Ground (-12 Volts)
                          R Red Battery Power (+12 Volts) CDI Charge Coil
                          Y Yellow Main Switch Key On Power (+12 Volts)
                          L Blue Dash Instrument Lights Power Choke Solenoid Power CDI Charge Coil
                          Br Brown Starter Solenoid
                          CDI Charge Coil
                          O Orange CDI Output to Ignition Coil
                          P Pink Warning Horn & RPM Reduction Control
                          G Green Tachometer Signal Lighting Coil Output
                          W White Engine Stop
                          Lg Light Green Trim Down
                          Sb Sky Blue Trim Up
                          Gy Gray Overheat Indicator

Comment

Here is some more "stuff". Connector types and numbers for the tachometer warning information have changed since the time your motor was built.

Comment

those tachs may or may not work on your 89 models.
                              IF the tach has a black rubber cap and IF the tach has 3 dip switchs you will have to select 2 stroke,3 wire sender and 12 pole alt.

you will either have to cut and splice or buy the round to square adapter for them.

on the speedometer, when the LCD,when the fuel level is low or the wiring disconnected the pump icon on the lower right blinks.
                              later versions blinked the lowest bar.

Comment

Working...
                              X