Hey 99Yam40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey 99Yam40

Fairdeal talked me into getting a new oscilloscope. It is the cats meow. No more having to take photos of the screen shots. It captures images as pictures for you. Cheaper and easier to use IMO.

Been seeing some stuff that I never expected. Still don't understand what is causing it.

First four images are wave forms from the coils of the permanent magnet alternator. Appears that the coils being loaded is distorting the wave form.

Two last images are ripple from the rectifier/regulator into the battery. Ripple changes as more current flows due to an increased load.

Last edited by boscoe99; 08-11-2022, 03:27 PM.

well, they finally let it thru and I can view it now

what is the new toy?

I do not know what to think about the wave forms, probably way too much info for my pay grade

but very interesting

play with it long enough and you will understand most of it, I guess

you mentioned 4 and 2 pics and I only see 4
    Last edited by 99yam40; 08-12-2022, 08:42 AM.

Comment

System would only let me post 4. Here are the other two. Output from the R/R.

Comment

It is a tablet scope.

Comment

what do you set to trigger on something like that?

Comment

That's pretty common wave form for an alternator of that type, "pure" syne waves are only from commercial equipment, charging a battery is a pretty simple process without too much "finesse" after it's rectified it's plenty good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
              That's pretty common wave form for an alternator of that type, "pure" syne waves are only from commercial equipment, charging a battery is a pretty simple process without too much "finesse" after it's rectified it's plenty good enough.
              Yep. Battery does not care. I am seeing some wild stuff into a battery depending upon the regulator type.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                what do you set to trigger on something like that?
                I use the auto set button. Then play with the voltage and/or time buttons to gussy it up.

It has a save picture button. I then download the saved images from the tablet to my PC.

Comment

just in case I ever find a need for something like that, what was the cost?

also wonder if it can be used to look at the CDI inputs and outputs. (Voltage limits maybe a problem)

Maybe use different probes like a regular scope?

bet you would still need the peak reading voltmeter or adapter to get numbers to compare with specs in manual
                  Last edited by 99yam40; 08-13-2022, 10:56 AM.

Comment

just in case I ever find a need for something like that, what was the cost? $168 with tax included.

also wonder if it can be used to look at the CDI inputs and outputs. (Voltage limits maybe a problem) With a 100X probe I would think you could see a lot of that high voltage stuff.

Maybe use different probes like a regular scope? Yes

bet you would still need the peak reading voltmeter or adapter to get numbers to compare with specs in manual Vpp, Vp, Vavg, Vrms, Vmax, Vmin, Hz, duty cycles and more can be displayed real time.
                    I can see these tablets as being a mechanics best friend. Not only can voltages be seen but also wave forms. Which might be an indicator of a problem.

I stole this from Fairdeal but here is a wave form of a pulser coil in action. From his F225. He could have had Vp displayed if he had wanted to.

Comment

I believe you said you bought a peak reading adapter (DVA) in the past.
                      can you measure a charge coil or something with both to see how close the reading are to each other?

Comment

I believe you said you bought a peak reading adapter (DVA) in the past.
                        can you measure a charge coil or something with both to see how close the reading are to each other?
                        I don't have a charge coil to measure. I will test a wall outlet and some other power sources with both the peak reading meter and the scope to see how they compare. If they differ, I would trust the scope.

Comment

Maybe a lighting coil on a motor, or any input or output of a CDI
                          something that has minimum specs in the Yamaha service manual.
                          Just to see if any of them would give a reading to compare to the specs normally read with the peak reading meters

Comment

Wall outlet. Peak Voltage Readings.

Comment

Single phase PMA. Peak voltage readings.

Comment

Working...
                              X