1995 Pro 60 smokes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 Pro 60 smokes

good day everyone...i am new to the forum. i am a proud owner of a 1995 yamaha pro 60. engine has treated me very well since i bought it 7 years ago. i did replace a float in one of the carbs because there was excessive fuel. other than that i run premium/no ethanol and add ring free. unfortunately it has started to smoke more than usual. it has always smoked on a cold start but at low idle it is getting pretty bad. not sure if it could be an o-ring or 2 around/near the fuel pump or something more involved? any help is appreciated. thanks to all.

have you checked to make sure the oil pump linkage is hooked up and set correctly?
    it should go full on if it pops off causing over oiling at low RPM

Comment

i have not checked to see if it is hooked up/set up correctly

Comment

99yam40...i think i need to see the linkage in person rather than the exploded parts view but i am wondering if you can clarify..."it should go full on if it pops off causing over oiling at low RPM"? i am not a mechanic so that probably adds to the confusion as well. thanks

Comment

the link to the oil pump should be connected to the throttle linkage,
          so when the throttle plates on the carburetors move (open or close back), so should the oil pump linkage.
          the oil pump should be spring loaded to the wide open position, so if the link between the two gets disconnected the throttle linkage cannot force the oil pump to close back down to reduce the amount of oil being injected into the motor.
          Does that help any?

Comment

that helps a ton...i will check it out. thank you

Comment

well...long time no talk. i ran the pro 60 all year. still smokes. the linkage is intact however the pin at the oil pump on the linkage is missing so i will replace that. when i move throttle to idle there is a little play meaning it rotates into "idle" but then i can still turn the throttle handle slightly. seems the linkage from the oil pump to the near side of the carbs is a little wonky. has some wobble in it. not sure what to do. any thoughts are appreciated. thank you.

Comment

Use something other than Yamalube.

Comment

will do. thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X