Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 F225TXR Blows LP Fuel Pump Fuse

Hello,

I found a blown 5amp fuse for the Low Pressure fuel pump on my 2006 F225TXR the other day. I diagnosed the fuel pump and found it to be bad. I replaced the pump with an OEM unit which the pump itself is a Walbro brand. The kit came with 10amp fuses for some reason but on the pump outside casing it says to use 20amp. I didnt have or really did not pay attention to installing a 20amp and just let the 10amp put on. I took the boat out for a good test run across the bay and it ran normal for about 4 miles then shut off all of a sudden and I found the 10amp fuse on the pump was blown. Replaced it with a spare 20amp that was in the fuse holders and it continued running normally back to the marina.

Do these pumps really pull more than 10amps? Is this normal? I havent had time to check out the wiring in detail and I cant quite understand the wire routing thoroughly on this service manual I have. What else can I do to be sure that the entire system is in good condition? Your help would be appreciated.

Originally posted by yzerepzz View Post
    Hello,

I found a blown 5amp fuse for the Low Pressure fuel pump on my 2006 F225TXR the other day. I diagnosed the fuel pump and found it to be bad. I replaced the pump with an OEM unit which the pump itself is a Walbro brand. The kit came with 10amp fuses for some reason but on the pump outside casing it says to use 20amp. I didnt have or really did not pay attention to installing a 20amp and just let the 10amp put on. I took the boat out for a good test run across the bay and it ran normal for about 4 miles then shut off all of a sudden and I found the 10amp fuse on the pump was blown. Replaced it with a spare 20amp that was in the fuse holders and it continued running normally back to the marina.

Do these pumps really pull more than 10amps? Is this normal? I havent had time to check out the wiring in detail and I cant quite understand the wire routing thoroughly on this service manual I have. What else can I do to be sure that the entire system is in good condition? Your help would be appreciated.
    very strange the original had a 5 amp that popped and the new one also popped a 10 amp.
    I would be measuring the current it runs at. and see what size wire is ran to the pump

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

very strange the original had a 5 amp that popped and the new one also popped a 10 amp.
      I would be measuring the current it runs at. and see what size wire is ran to the pump
      Yes. I measured current at the fuse when on idle and was only about 3amps. Not sure how I could do it under full load. Wire size is original around 16awg I believe. Wiring “seems” ok not 100% sure. New pump does say to use a 20amp though.

Comment

Originally posted by yzerepzz View Post
        I havent had time to check out the wiring in detail and I cant quite understand the wire routing thoroughly on this service manual I have. .
        The fuel pump control is somewhat obscure;
        in the engine pan, port side, is an electronic module;
        it has multiple functions,
        including the relays ("drivers") for the lift and high pressure pump.

The pumps each have a red/yellow wire which is supplied with 12V+ from the main relay
        whenever the key is on;
        the other wire of each goes to the driver module

when the ECM wants a pump to run,
        it provides a ground to the respective "driver" inside the module
        which then connects the pump lead to ground

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post

The fuel pump control is somewhat obscure;
          in the engine pan, port side, is an electronic module;
          it has multiple functions,
          including the relays ("drivers") for the lift and high pressure pump.

The pumps each have a red/yellow wire which is supplied with 12V+ from the main relay
          whenever the key is on;
          the other wire of each goes to the driver module

when the ECM wants a pump to run,
          it provides a ground to the respective "driver" inside the module
          which then connects the pump lead to ground

Thanks very much for the information

Comment

Working...
          X