Seastar steering cylinder piston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seastar steering cylinder piston

Need to replace the seals on our hydraulic steering cylinders. but one of the cylinders has some bad spots on the rod of the piston that makes it leak. the seals are easy enough to find and OEM SeaStar seems to be the best way to go for not leaking. i have not seen any options for the piston/rod assembly other than SEI sells it along with the seals in a kit. I know SEI doesnt have the best quality but i dont see any other options other than a whole new cylinder. Anyone know if these are any good or anyone who sells OEM piston/rod? Funny enough SEI is only like 15 minutes away from me

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08XY3HRJS

61MFWnGr0mL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Sea Star doesn’t sell major parts to public for liability concerns. Your options are limited.

Comment

i ordered the SEI shaft. unfortunately it did not fit. the shaft is too short and the piston is too big by about 0.010". and now the old has even more damage to it. im not sure if i could send it to get repaired or not.

since this is a dual engine boat, if i replace the cylinders, whats the chance they would turn at different rates? our cylinders seem to be pretty old

KIMG0347.JPG
      KIMG0348.JPG
      KIMG0349.JPG

Comment

Don't know where you live...but an industrial hard chrome shop can replate your old rods. It will cost you though.

Comment

if you replace both the cylinders, then they will be exactly the same, so should move the same also

Comment

meant to say the new was 0.110" larger.

replacing both cylinders gonna be like 1200-1400 bucks. jsut to help fix a leak. i would probalby just replace one for now. re replaced the seals on the other one with 150$ of Seastar seals

ill look at having it repaired. its jsut something i have no idea about.
            Last edited by Kingfish999; 07-18-2022, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X