No announcement yet.

Oil pumping??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally dropped the foot to change impeller.
    One end of one of the rubber tangs is missing.
    I'm going to look under the plate where impeller itself is today.
    If it's not there I'm not sure what to do?
    2003 Seapro 2003 Yamaha 90 2 stroke w/oil inj.

Comment

Unfortunately, they often get pumped up into the power head depending on how big it is. Sometimes it gets caught up in a bad spot causing overheats, sometimes NOT.

Can you post a pic of what's left just so we can get an idea of what's missing.

You can try flushing with water or blowing with air.

Others will chime in on what to remove and peek into the engine itself and potentially flush/pick it out...

NOTE; With the NEW IMPELLER, even with that piece missing, it may NOT be an issue. You may NOW have enough water flow to keep it from over heating.

Absolute worst case scenario, pull the head and clean out the coolant jackets, but that's a last resort(don't pull the head yet)
      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 09-15-2015, 07:33 AM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Better news.
        With the lower unit off I used the flushing attachment and got all but one small piece out.
        I ran the boat on the water after reassembly and no horn yet.
        I restarted it about 5 times and no horn.
        Horn seemed to be going off mainly on restart before.
        So maybe those 2 chunks floating around were causing the problem?
        I'm gonna run it more and will advise.
        Won't wait 5 years to do impeller this time!
        Thanks for your help.

Comment

Congrates!

Others haven't been so fortunate, glad it worked out for you!

Boat safe..
          Scott

Comment

waiting until something fails is not the best way to maintain a motor that can strand you in dangerous places when you least expect it.

not to mention finding bolts and shafts that refuse to come apart because they have not been taken apart,cleaned up, and greased as Yamaha recommends

Comment

Fuel gauge

Factory seapro fuel gauge has been stuck on full for 2 years.
              Drops to zero with key off and goes to full as soon as key is turned on.
              30 gallon tank gets refilled way before running out.
              Any advice on where to start trouble shooting this would be appreciated.
              Have checked wires on back of gauge and they appear ok.
              No idea how to get to sender at this point.

Comment

Sounds like your sending unit likely failed.

There should be an access (round) access plate somewhere in the deck, maybe under the console.

Where ever your MAIN fuel filler is, its likely close to where the main filler is welded into the tank.

Manufacturers want to keep the least amount of holes in the deck(save $, time), and the main inlet hose has to be clamped to the tank and the fuel sender wires plugged in..

With you getting a full reading with power on, its likely in the sender unit itself. You should be able to find a replacement.

BTW, with power off, the fuel gauge (99.9% of the time un-less re-wired) will read empty with no power to it. The fact that it does power up and then off indicates the gauge is likely fine...
                Scott

Comment

Impeeler RnR

Why does the top car mech think that he has the skills to change a outboard water pump..Or as a fool would say "impeller" ???? Tired of seeing a nice,,High priced outboard "Cooked" after Billy Bob changed a impeller..Hey ,,Tell YA What,,I'll buy the beer..stop by and change my prop on my 180/182 Tail Dragger.......This is WAYYYY past,,are Ya kidding me ???

Comment

Originally posted by bajakeith View Post
                    Why does the top car mech think that he has the skills to change a outboard water pump..Or as a fool would say "impeller" ???? Tired of seeing a nice,,High priced outboard "Cooked" after Billy Bob changed a impeller..Hey ,,Tell YA What,,I'll buy the beer..stop by and change my prop on my 180/182 Tail Dragger.......This is WAYYYY past,,are Ya kidding me ???
                    Is that a 182 that has been converted?

Comment

Thanks again Scott.
                      Good info.
                      Tank is under floor unfortunately but I know where access ports are.
                      Will look into it.
                      Not sure what the hell the two posts after yours are carrying on about.

Comment

Not too sure what special skills/training is required to change a water pump (or impeller)

Comment

no special skill or training is ever nessasary.
                          anyone can do it.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                            no special skill or training is ever nessasary.
                            anyone can do it.
                            +100^^^.

For someone that's never done it, but somewhat mechanically inclined and has a shop manual and follows it to the letter (paying attention to dis-assembly), its very do-able.. You don't need to be a marine mechanic for much of the time. Nor a motorcycle mechanic for working on motorcycles..

I've never been to any mechanical school, car, motorcycle, OB, etc, but in most cases,I wouldn't think twice about tackling most jobs.

Here's one of my past motorcycles(Kawasaki KLR250) I had to change out the cam chain(stretched). BTW, this is easily 10x' more involved than a OB water pump..., 2 cam's come out, water pump comes out, two balancers(with separate chain), both side covers, rotor(or fly wheel in the marine world), etc...

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 09-18-2015, 08:01 AM.
                            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Yamacajun View Post
                              Thanks again Scott.
                              Good info.
                              Tank is under floor unfortunately but I know where access ports are.
                              Will look into it.
                              Not sure what the hell the two posts after yours are carrying on about.
                              Your welcome.

Threads sometimes get de-railed (I'm very guilty as well obviously), but....

Anyway, there has to be an access plate, round, probably plastic in the floor. Look inside storage areas, etc.
                              Anywhere from 6" to 12" in diameter or anywhere in between

It'll be an ah ha moment!!

Please post back what you find..
                              Scott

Comment

Well I’m finally back.
                                I replaced the sender a few years ago and gauge is still stuck on full.
                                Any other thoughts on the fuel gauge? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X