No announcement yet.

Yahmah 200 3.1 V Max EFI: Firing issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On my power head 61A is cast between the heads on the back of the block, and it is located just behind the flywheel and right under the lifting strap. That same thing is indeed stamped on the heads and head cover plates also. I would send i pic but i can't.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
      A VX200 uses a 61A prefix cylinder head cover. Maybe that is what you are looking at. The block however has a 66X prefix. But this may not be cast into the block itself.

Item 5 in this illustration

2003 VX200TLRB Yamaha Outboard CYLINDER CRANKCASE 2 Diagram and Parts
      The 61A / 03 is stamped into the back of the power head between the heads, directly below where the lifting strap is bolted onto the block. It is located just behind the flywheel and above where the CDI assembly bolts onto the block. 61A is also stamped on each head and each head cover plate.

Comment

The 61A / 03 is stamped into the back of the power head directly below the flywheel and below where the lifting strap bolts to the block just above where the the CDI assembly bolts to the block. It is also stamped on each head and each head cover as well.

Comment

61a simply states its a 3.1L.
          need a model number.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayoucat View Post
            The 61A / 03 is stamped into the back of the power head directly below the flywheel and below where the lifting strap bolts to the block just above where the the CDI assembly bolts to the block. It is also stamped on each head and each head cover as well.
            A 61A prefix block was used on early 250 models.

61A-W0090-12-EK YAMAHA CRANK-CYLINDER.ASSEMBLY.

If you have a 200 something or other I don't think it uses a 61A block. Now some of the pieces used with the block may have a 61A prefix but that does not make the block a 61A prefix part.

But then maybe you don't have a 200 something or other Yamaha.

This is what happens when people don't keep good records of their stuff. And what happens when other people then buy that stuff.

I have gone as far as I can go.

Comment

OK thats fine i told you everthing i can you act as if i am seeing things are something. And as for records you are right again this is not my boat my buddy bought the boat without records, so that blows that.

Comment

OK thats fine i told you everthing i can you act as if i am seeing things are something. And as for records you are right again this is not my boat my buddy bought the boat without records, so that blows that.
                I am not trying to act as if you are seeing things that are something.

There is the block and then there is a lot of stuff bolted to the block. If your friends block has 61A cast into it then so be it. Everything else I see indicates that it should be a 66X block. It would not be out of the ordinary for Yamaha to give the block a 66X prefix but have 61A stamped on it.

Now remember that a 66X block has a lot of 61A prefix parts bolted to it. That is why I am suspecting (but I might be wrong) that you are getting the 61A from something that is bolted to the block, but which is not actually part of the block.

Capiche?
                Last edited by boscoe99; 08-29-2015, 10:23 PM.

Comment

ser/model numbers

I could write a book about it !! and any marine part guys also !! LOL,,, I myself like the OMC johnny/rude system of "introduces"...if anyone here knows what Im talking bout.. right now I'm working (1 of many jobs) on a 1996 150HP 2 stroker YAMAHA with no numbers (anywhere) and its a Bitch dealing with parts....WRITE DOWN your ser/model number everywhere you can !! the newer motors that have stickers SUCK !! the old stamped plates are a day of the past (sigh) SO, get those numbers written down before Ya take that new to you boat out fer a spin !!! PLEASE !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bajakeith View Post
                    I could write a book about it !! and any marine part guys also !! LOL,,, I myself like the OMC johnny/rude system of "introduces"...if anyone here knows what Im talking bout.. right now I'm working (1 of many jobs) on a 1996 150HP 2 stroker YAMAHA with no numbers (anywhere) and its a Bitch dealing with parts....WRITE DOWN your ser/model number everywhere you can !! the newer motors that have stickers SUCK !! the old stamped plates are a day of the past (sigh) SO, get those numbers written down before Ya take that new to you boat out fer a spin !!! PLEASE !!!!
                    Thank you for helping me. If i sound frustrated i am, but i assure you i am not upset with you guys. I borrowed a camera and usb cable to load pics. The first pic is the hood V MAX 200 EFI OX66. The next is the ID sticker located on the tilt n trim assembly,i can make out all but the last three letters the first white box reads 66X the box following that reads VX200T--- and that is all i can read. If it is a VX does that mean this has to be a VX200TLRZ? As i do not see any other numbers for the year 2001 Yami beginning with VX in any of my literature. Shoot... i am having a hard time down loading the pics sorry. My girlfriend will be here a bit latter she knows how to. Please don't give up me just yet!!
                    Last edited by Bayoucat; 08-30-2015, 06:40 AM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

the VX tells the story. it is indeed a 3.1L V max.
                      it does NOT use CCS strategy.
                      it fires all 6 all the time.
                      now you need a timing lamp and a good digital voltmeter with a DVA adapter.

Comment

Thank you for helping me. If i sound frustrated i am, but i assure you i am not upset with you guys. I borrowed a camera and usb cable to load pics. The first pic is the hood V MAX 200 EFI OX66. The next is the ID sticker located on the tilt n trim assembly,i can make out all but the last three letters the first white box reads 66X the box following that reads VX200T--- and that is all i can read. If it is a VX does that mean this has to be a VX200TLRZ? As i do not see any other numbers for the year 2001 Yami beginning with VX in any of my literature. Shoot... i am having a hard time down loading the pics sorry. My girlfriend will be here a bit latter she knows how to. Please don't give up me just yet!!
                        I would tend to believe that you do have a VX200TLR(X) model. If the first box in the ID label uses this identity then that confirms the situation. The Yam parts catalog shows this motor was available from the year 2000 through the year 2005.

For all six VX200 models they used a CDI with a prefix of 66X. Given that your CDI has 66X written on it this confirms the model of the motor. The CDI with a 66X prefix is only used on the VX200 models. No other motor uses this prefix.

Time to get out the test equipment. Here is some stuff that might help:

Last edited by boscoe99; 08-30-2015, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                          the VX tells the story. it is indeed a 3.1L V max.
                          it does NOT use CCS strategy.
                          it fires all 6 all the time.
                          now you need a timing lamp and a good digital voltmeter with a DVA adapter.
                          I have a timing light and a digital Fluke voltmeter. I am not sure what you mean by DVA adapter tho.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                            I would tend to believe that you do have a VX200TLR(X) model. If the first box in the ID label uses this identity then that confirms the situation. The Yam parts catalog shows this motor was available from the year 2000 through the year 2005.

For all six VX200 models they used a CDI with a prefix of 66X. Given that your CDI has 66X written on it this confirms the model of the motor. The CDI with a 66X prefix is only used on the VX200 models. No other motor uses this prefix.
                            Yes, it is on the CDI and 66X is also visable in the first box of the ID tag. Thank goodness i hope now i can make some progress. Thanks for hanging in there with me.

Comment

Back to the DVA adaptor do you mean the adaptor with aligator clips on the wire ends and the other will plug into my meter?

Comment

Back to the DVA adaptor do you mean the adaptor with aligator clips on the wire ends and the other will plug into my meter?
                                A DVA (Direct Voltage Adapter) is a device used with a typical multi-meter so as to measure peak AC voltage. Some multi-meters have this function built into them.

http://www.amazon.com/CDI-Electronic.../dp/B001O4TZGG

Now what in the heck is peak voltage you say? Think of the AC voltage in a home here in the USA. If you set your multi-meter on AC and stick the probes into the sockets you will get a reading of nominally 120 volts. But this is an average voltage, not a peak voltage. Remember that with AC the voltage rises, falls back to zero, goes below zero, comes back to zero, rises again, and so on and so forth. It is changing all of the time. So, the value can be averaged or the peak voltage can be seen.

If you have a DVA adapter plugged into your multi-meter, and plug the probes from the adapter into the wall socket, you will see a peak voltage of about 170 volts. Remove the adapter and plug the probes into the socket and the meter will read ~ 120 volts. Now what may seem weird is when the adapter is installed in order to determine peak AC voltage the meter gets set on DC, not AC.
                                Last edited by boscoe99; 08-30-2015, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X