Throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle

Wondering if there is such a thing as an add-on for my F25 tiller control motor that would make the throttle return to idle when released?

Have you tried adjusting the throttle friction screw?....

Comment

re: Throttle

I wasn't aware there was one.....I will check it out, thanks.

Comment

Why do you want the throttle to return to idle when you release the throttle handle?

Most want the throttle to stay where they put it. If you have to constantly use your hand to hold the throttle open it can quickly wear out your hand. Makes boating less fun.

Comment

re: Throttle

Last week while motoring down a canal to the lake, I hit a stump or something which caused me to fall forward of the seat ( not far enough to release the kill switch ). Before I could get back to the throttle, the boat slammed into the trees along the bank. Had the throttle returned to idle when I fell forward, this would not have happened. If it were spring loaded and I should want to cruise, I could just tighten the friction screw.

Comment

Shorten the kill switch lanyard.

Comment

Shorten lanjard

Boscoe always has good answers.

Comment

The throttle should return to idle, it is a safety issue, the friction device must be set way too tight.

Comment

Is it the same safety issue that you have with a remote control motor that does not return to idle by itself?

Make sure you have checked some of the modern small motors to see how they operate before say things

Comment

It is not a safety issue. Design that is implemented as a safety issue does not usually have a provision for over riding that design. You can't readily over ride the neutral safety switch in boat motors and you can't over ride the design that forces you to have your foot on the brake before some automobiles can be started or shifted out of gear.

The spring on the carburetor/throttle body is designed to close the throttle if linkage to the device is lost. The operator has his hand on the throttle. If he wants an RPM reduction he simply turns the throttle handle as desired. If the operator departs the vicinity of the throttle handle then the kill switch will stop the motor. Only over ride for that safety device is to not use it or to disable the switch.

A pilot of an airplane uses a friction lock to hold the throttles in place. The safety mechanism there is that the pilot is forbidden by law from leaving the flight station and by law he has to have his seat belt fastened so that he cannot be thrown from his seat. He is there at all times so that if and when a power reduction is needed he is there to do the job.

This, and the other similar recent post, is/are very very strange. 99.999% of the posts about throttle movement have to do with how to stop the throttle from creeping back. In which case advice is provided to use the friction lock since that is what it is there for. All of a sudden some are mistakenly thinking that the throttle is supposed to roll back when the throttle handle is released.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                      Is it the same safety issue that you have with a remote control motor that does not return to idle by itself?

Make sure you have checked some of the modern small motors to see how they operate before say things
                      Not knowing what one is talking about is no impediment to posting advice about it on the inner web. I see it all of the time.

Post crap often enough, and be articulate in posting that crap, and many will come to believe it to be true.

Comment

Ease of use or function is always balanced with safety.

The argument about the convenience of outboard throttles being not automatically returning to idle outweighed the safety disadvantage , by the authorities.

Personal views may differ

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                          Not knowing what one is talking about is no impediment to posting advice about it on the inner web. I see it all of the time.

Post crap often enough, and be articulate in posting that crap, and many will come to believe it to be true.
                          And that is essentially how the world operates.

Experts no different to wannabes . Useful insight or crap who has the right to decide?

Comment

And I'll give an example.

The issue about primer bulbs came up again on this forum.

The consenses amougst the well experienced technicians on this forum is that the arrow and indeed the orientation of this bulb must be upwards.

I perhaps the lesser experience expressed the view that it was crap.

Clearly from what is read, I am out numbered.

The point is, I justified my argument on the basis that over six decades I have never seen it written on any bulb, on any instruction by these bulb manufactures that state this "upward ness".

My argument based on a sufficient sample size and no contrary evidence forthcoming to change my view.

I said it was crap. The published forum concensus might suggest otherwise. And does not represent the vast silent majority

Just an example of how do you decide between "doesn't know what he talking about" , or crap and "useful insight", as I put it?

Comment

Will a primer ball work OK without the arrow being pointed up? Maybe. Some will and some won't. However, if the primer ball is held vertically with the arrow pointing upwards it will work each and every time. So, to make sure that it works for everyone, all of the time, most engine makers recommend that it be oriented in this direction.

https://www.google.com/search?q=prim...FUGhgAodzrQPlw

How to Replace the Primer Bulb on an Outboard Motor With an Inboard Tank | eHow

From Yamaha
                              Last edited by boscoe99; 08-28-2015, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X