2017 F300 powerhead bolt torque steps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 F300 powerhead bolt torque steps

Looking in the manual I have it shows two steps but at the same torque and no pattern to torque them in. Does someone have a better manual than mine that shows something different. I dont want to waste a head gasket that doesn't seal because I torqued it improper. Does anyone have a recommendation on cleaning the old gasket mating surface? It seems the gaskets have a sealer in them that a lot is left behind.

If a tightening sequence is not given then it does not matter. You can torque in a criss cross matter if you wish.

Comment

That might be a conclusion but I would err on caution.
      The way around this dilemma is to tighten small bits at a time say go around four or five times starting at 50% torque and increasing 10% each turn till 100%. This method doesn’t require Criss cross although it would make sense to initially space to hold the head in place.

Comment

Razor blade scraper held at an low angle so it does not dig into the aluminum to get rid of the old gasket sealant. Finish with scotch brite, red or green, with some brake clean..

Comment

I ended up just going inside out in a cross pattern but my torque wrench wouldn't fit under the rear three bolts between the top of the mid section so I had to wing those by feel. I could have cut a socket down and probably should for future use but was pressed for time today. I always use a Scotch Brite roloc medium disc to clean powerhead gaskets on two strokes but the metal gaskets of the four strokes seem to be best to leave the surface factory and just clean the glue. I try to never remove the surface finish to bare aluminum so I was hoping there was a faster way than a razor blade and carb cleaner and an hour of cleaning. I will try the green scotch brite pads with carb cleaner next time to see if that works better. It took a solid hour to prep the base. Thanks for all the info now I just have to bolt on the new lower and hope the base gasket seals.

Just for anyone who is curious why I had the powerhead off the lower was run without lube maybe 5 ounces and seized up at wot and sheered off at top of the drive shaft. I will never understand why people dont service their lowers more frequently especially when considering how expensive a new lower is these days nearly 5k.

post image

Comment

Ounce of prevention being worth a pound of cure.

Comment

Working...
            X