No announcement yet.

Yamaha Outboard Pulser Coils defective?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Outboard Pulser Coils defective?

I have a 1988 Yamaha 130hp V4 outboard model 130ETLG. It has no spark on any of the plugs. I have replaced the stator, power pack and resister pack with all brand new components. Still no spark on any plugs. Could it be the pulser coil? How do I test it or overrider them?

Thanks

With respect to a Yamaha outboard motor, what is a "power pack"? What is a "resistor pack"?

Comment

I have only heard of testing a pulser coil. Don't know what over riding them is about.

They are tested for ohms, for no shorts to ground, and for output voltage.

Comment

Thank you boscoe99. The power pack is the CDI ignition pack, and the resistor pack should read rectifier & regulator. I will test for the readings.

Comment

What about the ignition coils?

Comment

Best guess is you're throwing expensive parts at some kind of simple wiring fault. I "think" your motor has two pulser coils, one for each bank? Check the cutout circuit for a fault, but, now you have played around with multiple components, you may have a self inflicted fault to fix as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
              Best guess is you're throwing expensive parts at some kind of simple wiring fault. I "think" your motor has two pulser coils, one for each bank? Check the cutout circuit for a fault, but, now you have played around with multiple components, you may have a self inflicted fault to fix as well.
              Yes it does have 2 pulser coils. What is the cutout circuit and how do I test it?

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
                What about the ignition coils?
                I am thinking all 4 of them are not bad?? They worked last fall when it ran last.

Comment

Originally posted by dbuck1004 View Post

Yes it does have 2 pulser coils. What is the cutout circuit and how do I test it?
                  The cut out is when the ignition is off, or the safety lanyard is pulled, both kill the spark.

Comment

Originally posted by dbuck1004 View Post

I am thinking all 4 of them are not bad?? They worked last fall when it ran last.
                    Everything was working when it last ran........still thinking you are chasing a ghost and should be looking at the wiring, and possible new parts faults.

Comment

following the service manuals ignition testing procedures is the best way to troubleshoot.
                      peak voltages with proper test equipment should send you in the best direction when spark is a problem

Comment

Working...
                      X