Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjust ignition timing on Yamaha 15C

Hi,
    Last year I bought a little boat with an old Yamaha 15C. Used a couple of times last Summer but the motor was overheating.
    During the winter I disassembled the motor, removed the cylinders head and exhaust covers and cleaned all the water passages. I bought the complete power head gaskets kit and thermostatic valve and replaced everything. I also cleaned the carburetor, replaced the water pump and gear oil.
    Now the motor is working like is "new" (I'm really proud of myself ), this was my first experience with outboard motors. I used already the motor 3 times running it for 3-4 hours and everything looks fine. Start and restart easily. Temperatures are fine, measured with an infrared thermometer.

Now my question, I have a timing light and I would like to check if the ignition timing is correct. I used this gun just one time on an old camper so I need some advice .

I have no idea what a Yamaha 15C is,
    surely there are some identification /model info on the motor.

and I have no idea what timing light you have so hard to say how to hook it up
    my old Snap-On timing light I hook the 2 power leads to a 12 volt battery and clip[ the induction pick up around the #1 spark plug wire, and point the light at the timing marks while the motor is running to see what the timing is reading

Comment

The Yamaha 15C (maybe it is the European name) is a 15Hp model made in the early 80s .
      20220622_170138.jpg20220622_170147.jpg
      20220622_170223.jpg

About the timing light, it is the same as your description . I know how to connect the "gun", I don't know what value number I should looking for.
      There is a nice video on Youtube:

Comment

need to find a service manual for your motor to come up with the spec or talk to your local Yamah dealer to see if they have a manual for that motor.

not going to find one around here(USA) since they did not even sell Yamahas over here until mid 84 or 85.

my C40TRX has specs the same as that 20 and 25 on the video.
        7 ATDC and 25 BTDC
        check your to see what it reads right now
        Last edited by 99yam40; 06-22-2022, 01:13 PM.

Comment

My best guess.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
            My best guess.

are all of those BTDC? or just some of them?

Comment

All of them are BTDC.

Yamaha uses a - in front of the number if it is ATDC.
              Last edited by boscoe99; 06-23-2022, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X