Speedometer issue 2017 115hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer issue 2017 115hp

Speedometer on my twin 2017 115's not working, so have tried using a 1/16" drill bit and a toothpick but still not working. Wondering if there are any other suggestions on how to clean it, and am I correct in assuming that it's only the starboard engine that feeds the 6YC information station? Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

Originally posted by rcspencer1 View Post
    Speedometer on my twin 2017 115's not working, so have tried using a 1/16" drill bit and a toothpick but still not working. Wondering if there are any other suggestions on how to clean it, and am I correct in assuming that it's only the starboard engine that feeds the 6YC information station? Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.
    I would try some compressed air from the guage side of tube to see if there are obstructions. “Some” compressed air, probably not 150psi worth!

Comment

Only one engine would be connected,
      but it could be either.

Be aware that for the 6YC,
      the speed input has two possible failure modes -

blockage of the pathway of the lower unit pitot tube - which you are aware of

and failure of the sensor which converts the pitot pressure to an electrical signal.

Look under the cowlings -
      one engine will have the "S" connector in use -
      plugged into that sensor
      on the other engine it will be "capped off".

The engine wire harness lead with a white "S" label:

Once you've found the sensor connected to the black rubber pitot tubing,
      you can do several things:
      - check that the opening of the sensor is not plugged with debris
      - try forcing air or water 'backwards' through the rubber tubing to confirm the pitot is clear
      - if necessary replace the sensor:

Alternatively,
      if you have a GPS/fishfinder/chartplotter with NMEA 0183 output,
      you can connect some wires to get GPS speed to the 6YC
      and forget about the lower unit pitot and (expensive) sensor

Last edited by fairdeal; 06-16-2022, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Wow - thank you SO much for this information!! Exactly what I needed so I'm going to try everything you suggested. Thanks again for all the detailed information - much appreciated!!

Take care.

Comment

Problem solved! I can't thank fairdeal enough for the help in resolving this problem! Thankfully the sensor was not the issue at all so all is well and the speedo is working like new. Thanks again for your detailed help and explanations!

Comment

Working...
          X