Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting Gear Selector - Advice Instructions

Hey All,

I have an older Yamaha 9.9 outboard (attaching here photo of model number plate), but plate reads: T9.9 ELHW - 6G8 - 472639 V

I need to adjust the gear selector so that the motor will go in reverse. It was working great, then stopped. I can get the motor to go in reverse by taking the cowling off, and pushing it by hand, The gear selector 'almost' gets it to go in gear, but not quite. Looks like there is a threaded 'bar' suggesting some way to adjust, but dont want to go in trying things before being sure what I am doing.

Background: Was out on the lake and started the motor, went to put it in reverse and it stalled. Couldn't seem to get it out of gear, so pulled a little too hard on the selector (it worked, I got it out of gear, but since then, cant get it in reverse with the gear selector).

Any advice/guidance/tips/referrals most welcome.

Thanks!!
    Attached Files

most are spring loaded into forward, so you have to overcome the spring tension to get to neutral and reverse.
    Not sure why it got stuck in reverse, but I would be looking at the lower unit lube to make sure that is not full of water before going farther.

I have run across bent pins and twisted shafts in motors do to too much force being used, but none of them were in a T9.9

Comment

OK, thanks - I appreciate the advice and guidance. I am starting to think I need to take it off and to the dealer. I have been able to find very little info on this issue.

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      most are spring loaded into forward, so you have to overcome the spring tension to get to neutral and reverse.
      Not sure why it got stuck in reverse, but I would be looking at the lower unit lube to make sure that is not full of water before going farther.

I have run across bent pins and twisted shafts in motors do to too much force being used, but none of them were in a T9.9

Comment

just crack the drain screw/plug and see what comes out.
        if good looking lube comes out tighten the screw back in
        Last edited by 99yam40; 06-15-2022, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X