9.9 2015 4 stroke all locked up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9.9 2015 4 stroke all locked up

Went to tilt my 9.9 for the first time this year and nothing. Tried to start it and all I get is a click when I push the start button. My main motor tilts and starts just fine. Ended up removing my batteries and installing a new one. Same issue. I'm getting power to the 9.9 but it doesnt want to do anything.

take a look here and then tell us which of those 2015 4 stroke motors yours might be.
    Yamaha - Outboard - 9.9HP OEM Parts | Boats.net

also, since you just get a click like a dead battery, I would be checking all connections to make sure they are clean and tight.
    And monitor the voltage going into and out of the start relay
    cables can go bad too

Comment

Locked up means that you cannot manually rotate the crank shaft. Nary an inch. Is that correct?

Is this without the lower unit installed?

Comment

Its a T9.9XPH

Comment

I'm going to check my tilt motor today and bypass the relay to see if it goes up or down. I wonder if the relay would be the problem? Would the relay cause the starter and tilt to not work or does the relay only control the tilt?

Comment

When I say locked up I was referring to neither start or trim was working and not the crank shaft. I will double check that though. Thanks for the help on this. Kind of at a loss. With a new battery installed I still have the issue. My main motor works just fine but my 9.9 doesnt want to do anything. I can here the relays clicking, checked for power at the motor and it has juice.

Comment

Originally posted by FishnFool View Post
              When I say locked up I was referring to neither start or trim was working and not the crank shaft. I will double check that though. Thanks for the help on this. Kind of at a loss. With a new battery installed I still have the issue. My main motor works just fine but my 9.9 doesnt want to do anything. I can here the relays clicking, checked for power at the motor and it has juice.
              Not sure on that motor, but, can you take new battery and use jumper cables directly to motor to see if that works? Bypassing the existing wiring.

Comment

Went to tilt my 9.9 for the first time this year and nothing. Tried to start it and all I get is a click when I push the start button. My main motor tilts and starts just fine. Ended up removing my batteries and installing a new one. Same issue. I'm getting power to the 9.9 but it doesnt want to do anything.
                Sounds like classic bad battery cables going to your kicker or loose/corroded connection somewhere. Have someone turn the key for you and you put your hand on the battery cable and see if starts to get hot or overly warm.
                The cables can look perfectly good on the outside and be full of corrosion on the inside...

Just went through this exact same issue with my brothers boat...rotten cables that looked fine.

Best of luck

Comment

Well apparently on my model if the motor is tilted up it won't start. Ended up finding out my tilt motor got water inside it and corroded over the winter. Tilt motor shorting out so it wouldn't move down. There is a screw on the bottom of the motor that frees it up so you can drop it. Once it was down it let me start my motor. Now in the process of rebuilding my tilt motor and should be good. Lesson learned. Thanks for all the help!!

Comment

Well apparently on my model if the motor is tilted up it won't start. Ended up finding out my tilt motor got water inside it and corroded over the winter. Tilt motor shorting out so it wouldn't move down. There is a screw on the bottom of the motor that frees it up so you can drop it. Once it was down it let me start my motor. Now in the process of rebuilding my tilt motor and should be good. Lesson learned. Thanks for all the help!!
                    seems we were not even close to what your problem was, but good to hear you figured it out anyway.
                    thanks for reporting back what the problem was

Comment

Working...
                    X