No announcement yet.

Which tach for which motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost any standard tachometer will work with your motor.

If you use a Yamaha multi-function tachometer then some of the features on the tachometer may simply not be usable. The oil status system for example. The check engine function for example. The water in fuel warning for example.

Your motor only has one warning feature. That being for over temperature. So, if you hear the warning horn you will know what it is for. You don't need a light on a tachometer to remind you.

Why not just get the cheapest, plainest, simplest tachometer available and install it. Or, just go without a tachometer.

Now if you are looking for a data base that shows all tachometers known to man, and of those tachometers which will work with your motor, and which features of said tachometers will be usable for you, then good luck. There is no such data base available. It would take time and money to create same. It would have nil practical value.

But if you care to develop such a data base we would like to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
      for a C40?
      I would buy the cheapest analog tach,excluding faria, and roll with it.
      Why not Faria?

Comment

Originally posted by drewread View Post
        Why not Faria?
        I`d like to know that to.
        I have Complete set of faria on the Sea Hunt CC and they are ok.

what better alternative is there? I don`t think this boat ever had a digital set up.
        02 Sea Hunt Triton 172
        02 Yamaha 90HP O/B

Comment

Rod does not think they are a very good reliable tach is all

Comment

I guess they are cheap enough for the boat manufactures to use them.

what is the alternative? VDO, Teleflex, (seastar I think now).

Faria`s got to be better than the low dollar junk.

But I can agree with one instance where I had to send a Faria volt gauge back bc it read incorrectly, but it could also have been handled improperly from the mutts in the shipping dept.
            02 Sea Hunt Triton 172
            02 Yamaha 90HP O/B

Comment

ahhhh, I get it! it`s just someone`s opinion, that`s all.WHEW
              02 Sea Hunt Triton 172
              02 Yamaha 90HP O/B

Comment

yes its my opinion.
                yes opinions are like rectums.
                however after almost 30 yrs of doing this for various manufactures and boat lines, all I can say is Faria is Italian for junk.

do as you wish its your coin.
                BTW faria used to make the system check junk tach that OMC used.
                failure was predictable.

Comment

so what is your preferred choice? I don`t see teleflex/seastar, sierra, house brands being any different.
                  02 Sea Hunt Triton 172
                  02 Yamaha 90HP O/B

Comment

Now a Yam man (Rodbolt) more than likely will suggest a Yamaha branded analog tachometer. A good choice actually. But a bit pricey and might offer some functionality that is not usable with a C40.

Based on years of experience he probably has a good idea of what is going to be reliable and what will be less reliable. You asked for an opinion and you got it.

For use with a C40 almost any Teleflex tachometer should be just fine. IMO. I don't think Faria would be a bad choice. Again, IMO.

Some want only the very best so they don't have to deal with a problem for years and some want to pay less, recognizing they might have to buy a replacement sooner than would otherwise be the case.

It is all about choices. There is no one absolute answer for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                      Now a Yam man (Rodbolt) more than likely will suggest a Yamaha branded analog tachometer. A good choice actually. But a bit pricey and might offer some functionality that is not usable with a C40.

Based on years of experience he probably has a good idea of what is going to be reliable and what will be less reliable. You asked for an opinion and you got it.

For use with a C40 almost any Teleflex tachometer should be just fine. IMO. I don't think Faria would be a bad choice. Again, IMO.

Some want only the very best so they don't have to deal with a problem for years and some want to pay less, recognizing they might have to buy a replacement sooner than would otherwise be the case.

It is all about choices. There is no one absolute answer for everyone.
                      to the contrary, I was curious as to why it was said that`s all. if we were talking hot rods, then my vote would be AutoMeter hands down and that is just my opinion, but we`re not talking Hot rods.
                      I was listening for concrete thoughts/facts based on the opinions. there could be any reason why a gauge craps out. but to say faria is Crap, I wanted to hear why.

I agree any tach would work fine.
                      I have a full dash of faria that came from the factory, they are 13 years old and I`m replacing as necc and adding gauges. They did the job and continue to function as they should with the exception of the PO not maintaining the wiring/appearance etc.

I`m just doing my homework to see what works best without raping my wallet, and this thread caught my eye.
                      Thanks to all that replied.
                      Last edited by SeaDawg3; 08-30-2015, 11:17 AM.
                      02 Sea Hunt Triton 172
                      02 Yamaha 90HP O/B

Comment

edit....................................
                        Last edited by SeaDawg3; 08-31-2015, 10:23 AM.
                        02 Sea Hunt Triton 172
                        02 Yamaha 90HP O/B

Comment

Seadawg,

suggest you just start a new thread, repeat your model #
                          and clarify what gauges you've got now

Boscoe will surely tell you all you need to know
                          for multifunction speedo, tach and harness(es)

Comment

I don't think there is any need to start a new thread. I'm sure there is some correction to the Yamaha model numbers and the engines they work with.

I have moved on to an analog Tach, but this thread was always intended to clear up what models go with which Yamahas... it would be nice to get to the bottom of that, rather than just hear people's opinions on why a digital Tach is overkill

Comment

Thanks for this thread and those that have replied. and thanks to rodbolt, he got me thinking and it prompted questions. Now I`m looking for more information to make a better educated choice.
                              Last edited by SeaDawg3; 08-31-2015, 03:21 PM.
                              02 Sea Hunt Triton 172
                              02 Yamaha 90HP O/B

Comment

Working...
                              X