Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 F6 Throttle Return Spring

Hi all,

Long time lurker/searcher but I need some help and can't find a previously encountered issue/fix.

Recently picked up a new (to me) 2007 Yamaha F6 for a kicker, this is the two cylinder model, not the newer one cylinder. Everything is top notch except the throttle won't return to idle when the tiller grip is released. I have of course checked to ensure the throttle stay screw is fully loosened.

The throttle turns freely and linkage all is in great shape but just doesn't spring back. I've looked at both the carb diagram and the control diagrams but can't seem to find the exact spring that is responsible for throttle return.

http://cdn.boats.net/diagram/yamaha/...CARBURETOR.png
    http://cdn.boats.net/diagram/yamaha/...ES/CONTROL.png

Anybody have one that can take a look for the spring location? Anybody had this issue with a fix?

Thanks in advance!
    -D

Those links don't open for me.

Can you post a model # and is the engine a US model?
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Trying the links again.

CARB:
      http://bit.ly/1K8AUHw

CONTROL DIAGRAM:
      http://bit.ly/1K8AUHw

Steering + Tiller:
      http://bit.ly/1gYJ7SW

The outboard is a US model F6AMLH, mfged in Dec, 2007. Identical block to the F8 for that model year.

Comment

I thought the throttle return spring was always on the throttle shaft on the carb.

If linkage comes off it should return to idle

Comment

That would be my guess as well but I am not familiar with this outboard and can't determine in the diagram where it is on the carb.

CARB diagram:
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

need to look at the carb itself not pictures.
            I do not believe the spring would be something you could buy separately, so they would not show it

Comment

The throttle return spring is integral to the carburetor. It is not sold separately.

Disconnect the throttle linkage from the carburetor and see if the carburetor closes freely and easily after you have opened it. Maybe it needs a bit of lubrication.

More than likely the problem is in the linkage to the tiller handle.

Last edited by boscoe99; 08-20-2015, 03:05 PM. Reason: It is a tiller model

Comment

Agreed ^^^. Its pretty rare for that spring to break.

Its much more common just for gunk/crap to build up over time. That spring isn't that heavy and it wouldn't take much crap to overcome its function...
                Scott

Comment

Ok, the carb spring is fine. when the linkage is disconnected the throttle moves freely. I guess the question is: is this the ONLY spring mechanism that will pull the tiller twist throttle back to idle OR is there another?

The twist throttle on the tiller moves quite freely, I wouldn't say it's perfect but it's well lubed and isn't catching, is smooth, etc.

I did see this small arm with a hole that looks like it would potentially be for a spring but there is no other obvious attachment points and it is not called out in the diagram.

Any other theories?

Carb + Spring:

Linkage Arm with small hole:

Comment

*Look at part #29 on this parts fisch(which should be your engine), its a return spring NOT on the carb;

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...ROL/parts.html

It appears to be the MAIN RETURN SPRING for all of the linkages, short of the carb itself

Can you access that and see if there's any issues there? Just a side note, (not on this engine in particular) but I have seen a good spring, but the plastic it pushes
                    up against, has failed/cracked.. Just pay attention for that as well
                    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-20-2015, 07:32 PM.
                    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by thedcpnn View Post
                      Ok, the carb spring is fine. when the linkage is disconnected the throttle moves freely.
                      what does this mean?
                      does the throttle plate in carb move freely or is it the throttle linkage tied to the handle that moves freely??

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                        *Look at part #29 on this parts fisch(which should be your engine), its a return spring NOT on the carb;

2006 and Later F60TLR Yamaha Outboard CONTROL Diagram and Parts

It appears to be the MAIN RETURN SPRING for all of the linkages, short of the carb itself

Can you access that and see if there's any issues there? Just a side note, (not on this engine in particular) but I have seen a good spring, but the plastic it pushes
                        up against, has failed/cracked.. Just pay attention for that as well
                        There are big differences in the F6 and F60

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                          what does this mean?
                          does the throttle plate in carb move freely or is it the throttle linkage tied to the handle that moves freely??
                          The plate in the carb moves freely indicating no gunk or buildup. The carb snaps right back as expected. That said this spring doesn't have enough power to return the twist throttle on the tiller back to idle.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

2006 and Later F60TLR Yamaha Outboard CONTROL Diagram and Parts

I have the F6 not the F60 -- the components for the CONTROL are different.

Thanks for the suggestions on the plastic though, I checked. Looks fine.

Anybody know someone with an F6 or F8 that could have a look

Comment

what does that black piece of plastic do when you move it by hand?

No help with someone with a motor like that

Comment

Working...
                              X