CDI wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CDI wiring

I have a 40/30 4 stroke F40MJHB. I bought it with some hacked wiring coming out of the CDI. Two red wires and a gray wire that dont go anywhere. Can anyone tell me what to do, if anything, with these? Thanks in advance

Service manual is not showing those wires. Interesting.

Is the motor running?

What, if any, numbers or markings are you seeing on the CDI assembly?

Comment

two red wires made me think RR not CDI

pics may be best

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        Service manual is not showing those wires. Interesting.

Is the motor running?

What, if any, numbers or markings are you seeing on the CDI assembly?
        It runs without battery power (pull start only) but it has a terrible stumble trying to get off the idle jet. Ive gone thru the carbs and syncd them. No vacuum leaks. It lean sneezes in the transition to the main jet. Compression is 115, 118, 118. Im usually pretty good with these things, but this one is stubborn. The only thing i have no idea what to do with is that little brain on the ledt side of the motor

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

pics may be best
          20220528_000919.jpg

Comment

https://photos.app.goo.gl/X5EEHWFEo3GhkYc87

Comment

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dXQbgjpc46YeA9rDA

Comment

Originally posted by Voorhies View Post

It runs without battery power (pull start only) but it has a terrible stumble trying to get off the idle jet. Ive gone thru the carbs and syncd them. No vacuum leaks. It lean sneezes in the transition to the main jet. Compression is 115, 118, 118. Im usually pretty good with these things, but this one is stubborn. The only thing i have no idea what to do with is that little brain on the ledt side of the motor
                There is no writing on the unit. I posted a link for a couole pictures of it. Sorry if this is not the usual way to post pics. Im the least computer savvy guy you will meet this week

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

pics may be best
                  Good call.

Comment

Originally posted by Voorhies View Post

As 99Yam notes, that is the Rectifier/Regulator. For charging a battery if one was installed.

Your problem sounds like it is a carburetion issue.

Comment

Sorry to say but your model is known to be very sensitive to carburetor issues. The jets were reduced in size to the point where the motor might run like crap. Some folks have been known to drill out the existing jets, or to install larger sized jets, to improve performance.

Also, it is best to thoroughly dismantle and clean the carburetor in a heated ultrasonic cleaner. Paying particular attention to the acceleration pump and nozzle.

Comment

Thank you. The help is much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

As 99Yam notes, that is the Rectifier/Regulator. For charging a battery if one was installed.

Your problem sounds like it is a carburetion issue.
                          Just wondering about is running a motor with a RR without a battery hooked up OK?
                          I was thinking about loose connections can cause problems.
                          maybe if no battery in the circuit it is not a problem

Comment

Working...
                          X