Prop hub brass washer too big off-center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop hub brass washer too big off-center

Bought my first prop to replace the original ate-up one on my T60.
    It was one that required a hub. "Dealer" said "these hubs are for all Yahamas".
    Got it home, started changing it out, sure seemed like it was made for a bigger shaft. So, I took it back and after having to explain in detail at least 3 times over the 'dealer' put me on the phone with a mechanic, who had to look it up! "Ahh", says he, there are 2 different hubs. One for over, iirc, 225(?) and one for under.

So I get the correct kit and install it.

The brass washer that goes on just before the castle nut is bigger that the shaft. Torquing down the castle nut causes the washer to be off-center. Is that going to cause an off-balance problem with the prop? Everything else fits with precision, this thick washer just seems wrong.
    2012 Bennington 2275 (salvaged)
    2005 Yamaha T60TLRD

Pics might help someone understand what you are getting at.

and part #s, manufacturer, and descriptions of the prop & hubs would help also

Possibly is it a XHS

Comment

Propeller Specifications:
      Part(s): #QA2830X
      Manufacturer: Quicksilver
      Brand:Black Diamond
      Material: Aluminum
      Diameter: 14
      Pitch: 11
      Blades: 3

Last edited by tonyski54; 08-15-2015, 07:30 PM.
      2005 Yamaha T60TLRD

Comment

Originally posted by tonyski54 View Post
        The brass washer that goes on just before the castle nut is bigger that the shaft. Torquing down the castle nut causes the washer to be off-center. Is that going to cause an off-balance problem with the prop? Everything else fits with precision, this thick washer just seems wrong.
        OK I see , the hole in the washer to too large and allows the washer to move off center.

That little bit of offset should not matter, IMHO

Yes a tighter fit would help and putting notches on the outside to fit those raised tabs would have helped too.

If it bothers you too bad you can make a bushing to get a tighter fit on the shaft, but will probably need to bore the thick washer to get a bushing into it.
        nothing a machinist cannot take care of if you know one

Comment

In that kit, with TWO nuts and TWO washers, I'd put money you use the smaller washer, smaller nut ONLY.

That kit fits both size shafts, that's why you get those extra parts that you won't use...

This link may help, there's a pic of the install;

http://www.mcdurmon.com/assets/parts...Prop_guide.pdf
          Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-15-2015, 06:31 PM.
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

That pic uses the locking washer and lock nut.
            My kit uses a castle nut.
            The large nut is for a larger shaft.
            The large and small thick brass washers have the same inner diameter! They'd both fit a large shaft but (in my non-engineer opinion) are too big for the T60. Due to the large inner diameter the castle nut doesn't make as much contact as it would if the washer was the correct size. But as you can see in the pic, they're both too large for my T60 shaft.
            Last edited by tonyski54; 08-15-2015, 07:31 PM.
            2005 Yamaha T60TLRD

Comment

How does the splined hub washer fit (the silver piece)?

For future reference... that kit is about $33 direct from a Merc dealer.
              2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
              1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
                How does the splined hub washer fit (the silver piece)?

For future reference... that kit is about $33 direct from a Merc dealer.
                It fits nice and snug.

Yeah, I know. I usually buy everything online, even the boat. But I thought that I would throw some money the dealers way just to introduce myself. She didn't charge list but it was still more than off the web.
                2005 Yamaha T60TLRD

Comment

Since the splined hub washer fits nicely, I wouldn't worry about. Like mentioned above, it's not going to affect balance by that little bit. Plus, it really isn't involved in keeping the propeller true on the shaft. It's just there to spread the load from the castle nut onto the hub washer and being off that little bit won't matter in the least. Although it's slightly off center, it's still spreading the load properly.

I agree with you in regards to buying local whenever possible. Personally I don't even mind paying a little bit more to support local businesses. But, what I meant by the price... I meant that if you walked into an actual, brick-n-mortar Merc store it would only be about $33. I'm not sure how they came up with that price as it's QUITE a bit more than what a Mercury Certified shop would charge. What I CAN tell you, though, is that "Sealand Marine" sticker is an add-on - meaning, the box didn't come from Mercury with that sticker on there.
                  Last edited by DennisG01; 08-15-2015, 09:46 PM.

Comment

well
                    in your well anganeered opinion.
                    why did you not simply buy a well anganerred YAMAHA prop rather than a supposed universal fit em all ?

what I found through the years of using univerasal fit em alls.
                    they are univerassaly gaur****ed not to fit sheet well and sometimes worse.

you say your an engineer.
                    if YOU anganeered sumptin would you warrenty another anganeers stuff to fit yours???????

Comment

tonyski54,
                      that washer diameter was to allow it to slip over outside of spline. It looks like it did not reach that part of the shaft.
                      Doesn't look good like that; if you can't get correct replacement then I would "fill" the gap by rolling a strip of coke can aluminium, winding it on till washer held centre.
                      May still move over a bit but this would be lessened if you put grease between nut and this washer.
                      A handyman repair I know.

Comment

And if you are worried about the effect of being out of balance, just simulate the setting on a separate bolt and then place it into a drill chuck.

Hold it and slowly run the drill to full speed (2500rpm) and see how it vibrates in your hand.
                        You will then realise that I would not necessarily suggest don't worry about it!

Comment

merc parts

If you got this on line your screwed..mercury props are much better than the average...and their parts are always spot on !! I'd say someone messed with the contents of the box,,and BTW I have changed 1000's of props and mostly mercury without a issue..last week I installed a mercury "inertia" and the guy radiod me and said he was gonna kiss me..LOL happy as hell..and he took a $650.00 dll gamble on my suggestion....prop's are one of the "grayest" areas of marine propulsion units.. and boats leave the factory with the wrong prop many,many times....always remember the simple fact that boat builders are fiberglass boys and nothing more !!

Comment

Zeno's post made me think of something... Maybe you put the forward (towards front of boat) thrust washer on backwards?

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                              well
                              in your well anganeered opinion.
                              why did you not simply buy a well anganerred YAMAHA prop rather than a supposed universal fit em all ?

what I found through the years of using univerasal fit em alls.
                              they are univerassaly gaur****ed not to fit sheet well and sometimes worse.

you say your an engineer.
                              if YOU anganeered sumptin would you warrenty another anganeers stuff to fit yours???????
                              Never said that I am an engineer. From above
                              "(in my non-engineer opinion)"
                              2005 Yamaha T60TLRD

Comment

Working...
                              X