No announcement yet.

F250 start rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They had a thing on the news (NBC, I believe) last week about hackers.

They made up their own "thing" and were doing all kinds of REMOTE things to cars without even being in them...

Applying brakes, windshield wipers, un-locking doors, taking over while the driver was in the car, scary stuff...
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

they did it via the onboard system similar to GM's onstar.
      my truck doesn't have the ford equivalent but my wife exploder does.

kinda like hacking a puter. if that puter has NO net access its impossible to hack remotely.

Comment

Agreed, that's exactly what their doing, hacking into the computer system.

How deep can a hacker go with the newer cars with NO ignition keys, push button start?

I don't remember if it was a GM with ON-Star last week, but any newer car, with wireless access (starting, door locks, etc) would be susceptible..

Heck, ask Hillary!!
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          Has anyone heard of any of these fly by wire con*****ed outboard motors having runaways like the Toyota's cars in the past?

Kind of scary even my 2014 Ford F150 does not have a throttle cable ,guess they all are heading that way
          "Just a matter of time before a "hacker" does it."

Guys, I have the deepest respect for your Yamaha outboard knowledge and that is why I lurk this site quite often. But you might want to stick to outboards. According to the NTSB report and a NASA study on the issue, Toyota never had an electronic malfunction that caused a unintentional acceleration. 99Yam, your previous Ford truck likely had a drive by wire setup also. Electronic throttle controls have been with us since before the turn of the century and you probably cannot buy a new car today without that setup. There are so many fail-safe provisions in these systems that they are infinitely more safe than those that used the lowly spring to keep the throttle closed. (Had a failure in a 1954 Ford once, spring broke)

Townsands - hacking electronic controls requires an entry point. That point on autos is an internet connection - don't know of any outboard that has one. The hub internet connection on my Lowrance multifunction gauge has no connection to the Yamaha motor (as does the connection on my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee which allows remote start via the internet) that allows more than monitoring ECM data. Electronic auto pilots could potentially prove problematic should designers allow control via an internet connection but I see no likelihood of that happening because it serves no purpose (not that "purpose" has anything to do with electronic design today - its more like designers do things because they can.) But the fail safe designs (such as those on aircraft or the recent Jeep fix) simply allow no connection between the electronics that can control critical functions and those that allow internet access. Watch your electronic banking and fret, operate your outboards without fear. - My humble opinion.

Now, what was the original question?

Comment

Originally posted by RayBersch View Post
            "Just a matter of time before a "hacker" does it."

Guys, I have the deepest respect for your Yamaha outboard knowledge and that is why I lurk this site quite often. But you might want to stick to outboards. According to the NTSB report and a NASA study on the issue, Toyota never had an electronic malfunction that caused a unintentional acceleration. 99Yam, your previous Ford truck likely had a drive by wire setup also. Electronic throttle controls have been with us since before the turn of the century and you probably cannot buy a new car today without that setup. There are so many fail-safe provisions in these systems that they are infinitely more safe than those that used the lowly spring to keep the throttle closed. (Had a failure in a 1954 Ford once, spring broke)

Townsands - hacking electronic controls requires an entry point. That point on autos is an internet connection - don't know of any outboard that has one. The hub internet connection on my Lowrance multifunction gauge has no connection to the Yamaha motor (as does the connection on my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee which allows remote start via the internet) that allows more than monitoring ECM data. Electronic auto pilots could potentially prove problematic should designers allow control via an internet connection but I see no likelihood of that happening because it serves no purpose (not that "purpose" has anything to do with electronic design today - its more like designers do things because they can.) But the fail safe designs (such as those on aircraft or the recent Jeep fix) simply allow no connection between the electronics that can control critical functions and those that allow internet access. Watch your electronic banking and fret, operate your outboards without fear. - My humble opinion.

Now, what was the original question?
            Like the fail safe provisions in the Lockheed C-130J that caused the APU (auxiliary power unit) to start up on its own or like the fail safe provisions in the Airbus A400M that prevented the pilots from advancing the throttles back to flight power when called for?

No one was hurt in the C-130J incident but as I recall a number of folks died in the A400 crash.

NASA needs to stay with aeronautics stuff. Oh, I forget about the space shuttle booster O rings.

Comment

the hack in question was a chysler vehicle.
              chysler/jeep has a downloadable patch for it now.

Comment

So all that stuff about the throttles on those T cars going wide a$$ open causing crashes was just fraud blaming Toyoda causing recalls?
                Or was it something getting stuck around the foot peddle.
                I do not remember what the outcome was.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                  you do know that was all hysterical b.s. ?

...the Department of  Transportation released the results of its study into the blizzard of reports that various Toyota and Lexus models were accelerating out of control. The DOT concluded that, other than a number of incidents caused by accelerators hanging up on incorrectly fitted floor mats, the accidents were caused by drivers depressing their accelerators when they intended to apply their brakes. “Pedal misapplication” was the DOT’s delicate terminology  for this phenomenon.

It's All Your Fault: The DOT Renders Its Verdict on Toyota's Unintended-Acceleration Scare – Feature – Car and Driver

OK I just saw and read this post, so that answers my questions.

To the OP see how things go way off track sometimes.
                  Sorry about all this

Comment

Working...
                  X