Water in lower port cylinder 2005 F225

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water in lower port cylinder 2005 F225

Just got the boat last year. The engine started no problem after winterizing. However, piss hole stopped after a few minutes. Pulled lower unit and anodes (replaced) flush water up through cooling supply and flush out a lot of crap. I had already replaced thermostats and impeller mid-season last year. Put everything back hooked up flush connection and got a good stream. Used muffs and ran the engine getting a good stream as well. Dropped in the water a week later and the engine would not crank. Starter engaged but would not spin. I was unable to spin flywheel by hand. Pulled my plugs and spun the flywheel. I was able to crank with the starter. Looked like water came out of the lower starboard cylinder. (don’t know the cylinder numbering). Replaced the plugs and it started right up. Ran the boat up to 5500 (twin engines). Compression check shows180 on all cylinders. No evidence of water after running. Exhausts kits and oil pump were done in 2016.Is it possible the extra pressure from using the hose flush port was strong enough to force water in but water pump lower with psi does not.I flushed engines last summer with out any issues. Where did I get the water? How bad? Where do I start?

Past summer I spun a cam sprocket, replaced it as wells belt and tension assembly. Now I’m wondering if the current problem existed and caused that problem.. Thanks for any input.

Last edited by walter405; 05-16-2022, 06:55 AM.

You stated no evidence of water after running. one simple explanation when you launched the boat was engine in the down position forcing water up the exhaust into the cylinder?

Comment

Originally posted by Bluefish View Post
      You stated no evidence of water after running. one simple explanation when you launched the boat was engine in the down position forcing water up the exhaust into the cylinder?
      I wish it was that but marina launched the boat.I was hoping when I flushed it out with the engine up it leaked in.Checked yesterday after out fishing the day before no water and started right up, sounded fine.I will continue to monitor.

Comment

How do the plugs look? brownish or clean? clean would indicate your burning off water in that cylinder when running

Comment

Get a cheap bore scope off of Amazon and have a look down that cylinder. If the top of the piston is clean then you have a small leak into that cylinder while running and the piston is being steam cleaned.

Comment

Plug on the right side with arrow is the cylinder in question. I will try to check check with a scope and compare the other cylinders as well.

Comment

Hi, might try doing a high speed shut down test. Sometimes that will show you a water leak. But when you back to idleing in back to the dock. Thru the no wake zone the leak can stop at lower water pressure and clean up a bad cylinder(s)....

Comment

The plugs all look the same in pic how do they look to you? Other ideas are good also, except the cheap scopes might not have a good quality picture to see try borrowing one? Or do a leak down test. Leak-Down Test: What It Is, and How to Do One (repairpal.com)

Comment

The scope I have was less then $100 and the picture quality is pretty good for the price paid. I can't tell you the name of it right now as a friend has it borrowed looking at the cylinders of a truck engine he has problems with. It takes pictures and videos.

Comment

Working...
                  X