Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 Yamaha 115 V4 Tilt Dust seal replacement query

Hi Folks,

So I have a hydraulic leak from the dust seal of the tilt of my engine.

I have tried to find info online but am struggling.

All the parts diagrams from 1991 to 1996 show the seal in place but do not give it a part number.

I spoke with one parts dealer that said it is not sold separately and comes with the whole unit, which is over $1000
    I can't believe that Yamaha wouldn't provide a replacement seal for $10 on a perishable part.

The closest I can find is on a 115hp from 1997 but no idea if it is the same internal and external diameter to fit my tilt.

Anyone have any ideas if the 1997 would fit or if a lower / higher hp engine from the same era will have the same seal and if so the part number.?

Thanks
    Andy

a dust seal does not keep the oil inside, so you need more that a dust seal
    #16 piston sub assembly should work if cylinder does not a problem
    Yamaha Outboard 115HP OEM Parts Diagram for Power Trim Tilt Assembly 1 | Boats.net

Comment

Can you make the photos smaller?

Comment

Where anywhere is a dust seal shown on a tilt cylinder and piston?

Comment

LOL, Boscoe99 I'm gonna send u a pizza & six pack. Most manufactures refer to the top as a wiper, Scraper. Usually plastic. YAMMY just runs two seals most units. I'm still tying to find a air filter on any marine motor that's not diesel. Sea a lot of spark arresters while looking

Comment

I'm afraid I can't resize the photos as they were screenshots,

So on the 1991 diagram, no 30 is the Dust Seal Trim, product number 6E54382201 approx $20

But there is no ref number for the Dust Seal Tilt....

On the 1997 diagram its no 7 Dust Seal Tilt, product number 64E4389800 now superseded by 64E4389809 again approx $20

Everything works fine with my Tilt and Trim apart from oil coming up and out from the Tilt dust seal.

I have all the other o-rings and plastic washers no 17, 18, 19 in the diagram but I really don’t want to replace 16 which includes the piston and is close to a $1000.

I have looked at tilt / trim diagrams from the 90hp, 115hp, 130hp and 150hp from 1991 to 1996 and none of them reference the tilt dust seal, only the trim dust seal.

So did Yamaha never sell the tilt seal as a spare part.?

Do you think the tilt dust seal from the 1997 115hp model would fit as well.?

Do you know if the changed the dimensions of the piston from 1997 onwards.?

Comment

DUDE, can u repost your part breakdown for us older guys, I've spent my life on the water without sunglasses and can't sea your pics. BTW, if you spray ur outboard with a petro based spray regularly and lwr the drive or I/O. your save yourself a lot of repair/Running Issues. I recommend liquid wrench lubricating oil in the white/blue can. And of course flush with salt away, don't rinse the saltaway out. Leave it in the motor with the muffs hooked up. A Wet girl is always better in the long run. Haha. Some one, anyone. Tell me I'm Wrong !!

Comment

Here are the pics resized, I had to take a photo of them on my screen so apologies if still not so clear.

I spoke to another Yamaha dealer today, and asked them to measure the 1997 dust seal with callipers and it measures the same as the 1991 so Im hoping it will fit.

They did say the internal o-rings shoudl be the cause of the leak and not the dust seal so hopefully changing those first will solve the problem.

Any thoughts welcome

Comment

Hi All,

So I have now resolved this issue but wanted to share my experience to round out this thread and for anyone else who may have this issue in the future.

Yesterday I removed the entire piston assembly (no 16 in the 1991 parts diagram) and also the piston free (no 20 in the 1991 parts diagram).
                  I replaced the rings part no 18 and the plastic washer parts no 19, one of each on the bottom of the piston assembly and one of each on the piston free.
                  I also replaced o-ring no 17 which goes on the outside of the tilt end cap.
                  I didnt change the dust seal as you know I wasn't sure of the part number.

When I fitted it all back in the housing there was increased resistance from the new o-rings which was a positive sign but once all back together and screwed up tight, with the weight of the motor now pushing against the tilt hydraulic fluid came flooding out of the end cap dust seal once again.

So stripped it all down again and this time fully removed the nut from the bottom of the piston assembly to get everything of the piston and change out the dust seal from the end cap.
                  Once the end cap was removed from the piston, inside the cap there is a recess and another small but chunky o-ring which doesn’t appear on the 1991 parts diagram.
                  There was also an o-ring between the bottom of the piston and the large nut which again was not in the parts diagram. (See pics)

It was now pretty obvious these o-rings needed to be replaced and were almost certainly behind the leak.

I initially thought the dust seal was similar to the oil seal on the crank of a small Honda GX engine as they look similar and are quite rigid plastic but it was not the case and the dust seal is just that, to keep dust from going inside the piston housing when trimming down.

Anyway at a loss of where to find these parts I went back to the 1997 parts diagram where all these parts are listed and took the references numbers for the 1997 equivalent parts to my local Yamaha dealer along with the old parts I had removed.
                  After comparing my old parts to the new ones for a 1997 they were a perfect match.

Everything is now back together and working perfectly, no leaks, so I am really happy and can now put the boat up for sale.

So if anyway has a leak on the tilt of a pre 1997 115hp (and also 90 ,130 and 150 I reckon after comparing parts diagrams for them too) then the 1997 parts diagram has all the parts and numbers you need to complete your repair.

And finally as I am in a happy mood today, I thought I'd share a pic of my classic Glastron SSV-167

Thanks again

Comment

Good on you mate !! U did it.

Comment

Working...
                    X