Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 F200TXR wont stay running

Good afternoon all,

At the start of this summer I purchased a 2009 Sea Hunt Triton 220 with a 2009 Yamaha F200txr. It has been running great for most of the summer. I did notice a few trips ago that when i had it around 4200-4500 RPMs it bogged down to near idle speed. I was able to feather it back up and had no issues later that day. I have noticed a rough idle occasionally when I would slow down or bump it in and out of gear.

This past weekend, I took it out and was crusing at 4500 RPMs and all of a sudden it started bogging on me. Dropped down to 2k then rough Idle. I backed off the throttle and cut the engine. I wanted to see if there was water in the fuel water seperator. I unscrewed the F/W Seperator on the transom and could not see any water, dumped it out and then reprimed the fuel line and could not get it to stay running after that.

I had to get a friend to tow me back to the ramp. Since then, I've had it on my trailer at my house and it will crank, and idle roughly for approximately 2-5 seconds then it dies on me.

The fuel lines appear to be in good shape. I checked the engine mounted fuel filter (not the VST) and it seemed to be clean. When I pump the bulb, it will get firm and I see it fill up the bowl on the engine mounted fuel filter.

With the cowling off, I can hear the fuel pump turn on then off after 10-15 seconds as it's supposed to. Pumping the bulb does not keep the engine running.

I'm beginning to think that the issue is in the VST. Perhaps a clogged VST Screen or High Pressure Fuel pump is out.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

best to do a bit o testing first.
    first thing is test fuel rail pressure.
    next is unplug the water pressure and speed sensors if equipped.
    best would be to observe the baro and intake air pressures at key on engine off the key on engine running.

Comment

Update

Ended up taking the boat to a local mechanic. He said there was water all in my fuel (I had been running Ethanol). He drained the tank, put in ethanol free + stabilizer, cleaned the fuel system, changed the transom mounted Fuel water separator, fuel filter on the engine and the horseshoe fuel filter before the VST.

He changed the VST filter as well. Compression on all cylinders was between 110-155. Quite a bit of difference.

He also changed all the plugs as they were in rough shape. Engine has around 1,000 hours on it.

After all of this, the engine is now running again. Mechanic said he took it out and ran it and it did great. I took it out yesterday and it cranked up great. Backed out of the ramp and started leaving the harbor. After a few minutes it was idling very roughly, almost like it was missing, so I turned around to head back into the harbor and it died on me. I hit the key to recrank and it ran perfectly again and I pulled back up to the ramp. I will note that when it was idling roughly and missing, it didn't matter how much throttle I gave it, it wasn't revving up.

Does this sound like it could be dirty/partially clogged injectors? What doesn't make sense to me about that theory is why did it idle perfectly once I recranked the engine? Wouldn't the injector clog stop it up the entire time and not be an intermittent problem?

Any ideas? Perhaps I'm not getting good spark to one of the cylinders?

I'm just glad it's at least running now. I just hope the water in the fuel did not do major damage.

Comment

Experiencing similar problem with my 2006 F200TXR

I am having similar problems with my F200TXR as well, mine is a few years older, but I believe they are pretty much the same motor.

Mine started last summer. We took it out one night got on the lake anchored for a while then went to go back in and no start... we called our mechanic and he had us check the kill switch. We pulled it out then back in, giggled it and finally got the motor to start. We took it and that is the last time it started for me. I winterized it and took it out a few days ago and started working on it.

I check the fuel rails and there is no pressure there. Also no spark. I am systematically going through all options. I pulled the vapor separator and the filter was dirty, however the gas is in good shape. I have been using ethanol free gas due to concerns that the E10 gas could be causing issues.

My next step will be to check all fuses, and test the high pressure pump that is inside the vapor separator.

Is your boat still running well after you've emptied the tank and had the other service done to it? I'm interested to know just in case I may need to empty my tank. I'm really puzzled at this point.

D

Comment

another thread hopper.

on the 06 f200.
          please start a new thread .

this is gonna get confusing.

we don't want to try to go from a fuel system issue to an electrical issue.
          and don't worry about any additives at this point.

Comment

Working...
          X