2003 Yamaha 25HP question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yamaha 25

I am going through a similar situation except it is with a small separation on a different type of engine.The ring gear was pressed back on with the addition of Locktite 640(the replacement for 609).I do not know the root cause and it is checked before every start for beginning of separation.The big difference is that my flywheel retails for $1400!If anyone is interested,will post updates.

Comment

if it slipped off once it will most likely do it twice.

myself,after carefully inspecting the ring/flywheel for any cracks I would reinstall it and have it tack welded and the balance checked.
      at a minimum once I got it back on I would stake it.

like boscoe, I have been doing this work almost 40 yrs and have never seen a ring come off.

Comment

Maybe you could remove the flywheel, put the ring gear back in place and then go around the mating surfaces/cracks with a center punch....sorta like re-installing the valve seats on an engine....seems like this could work without adding or removing any metal and creating a balance issue...

Comment

that's called "staking".

Comment

that's called "staking".

Hehe.

Comment

better than stalking .

Comment

You guys think the "staking" might be a fix for this problem?....seems like at least a possible application before spending big bucks$$$ on a new flywheel?...

Comment

Working...
                X