1993 200 hp ProV waterpump reassembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 200 hp ProV waterpump reassembly

I need some help reassembling my 1993 Yamaha 200 hp Pro V water pump. It is the TLRR 2 stroke engine My jackass ex-boyfriend took this apart, and I have some questions on how it goes back together.

The three washers above the impeller. There is a flat side and a polished side. What is the direction and order of replacement?

On the silver collar and white spacer how tight do they need to be. What is the gap look like?

What is the best type of grease to use on the shift and drive shaft splines?

Any other tips and helpful suggestions will be appreciated.

Nicole

the washers,flat, wave washer, flat.
    that's how you stack them.
    them the plastic collar.
    then the steel retainer.
    pull UP on the drive shaft while seating the steel collar.

Comment

Originally posted by nicole.357 View Post

What is the best type of grease to use on the shift and drive shaft splines?

Any other tips and helpful suggestions will be appreciated.

Nicole
      Yamaha's "Multipurpose", waterproof grease is recommended (purplish stuff, SUPER STICKY). If you have a mid section bushing (you'll see it on the shaft), make sure that's lubed up as well.

Automotive brake bearing grease will NOT cut it and wash out...
      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-06-2015, 07:53 AM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I installed the Yamaha impeller pump kit and re-installed the lower unit and ran it on the muffs and still no water from the visual exit. I then put the boat in the water on the trailer just to make sure, and still no water. I even ran it in forward and reverse. The water was well above the inlets, about halfway up the engine.

I pulled the lower unit again to check everything and it all looked correct. Both the seals looked like they were seated properly, and the impeller looked perfect.

I then put a hose on the water tube with the lower unit removed and it began to flow in a steady stream from the visual exit point. However, after I removed the hose, It drained from the water tube for at least 45 seconds.

The one part that looked suspect was the resin water pump housing. I will post a picture if anyone wants to see it. I looks like it might have been hot at one time. The new metal cup fit in just fine, and it bottomed out as expected and the tabs on the bottom lined up fine.

How long can you run a 2 stroke without damaging it. I let it run for about a minute.

Another question I have is: how much of the water tube will I be able to see protruding from the bottom? I think there is about 2 inches visible as I look up.

What should I check now?

Thanks.

Comment

REPLACE THAT HEAT DAMAGED HOUSING NOW.

That alone will will cause your issue.

For that to melt / warp, someone ran it dry (and it doesn't take much)

You should be ok engine wise if you didn't run long.(which it sounds like you didn't)
          Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-08-2015, 05:18 AM.
          Scott

Comment

What's with all the flat and wave washers?
            My 1989 200 has none of them. Any reason to convert to later pump?

Comment

Originally posted by BQUICK View Post
              What's with all the flat and wave washers?
              My 1989 200 has none of them. Any reason to convert to later pump?
              Don't know what is all with the wave washers. Some have them and some don't.

Yamaha likes to do different stuff with different models to keep us off balance. They will do something for a while, then do without that something, then come back to doing that something.

I would just stick with whatever the parts catalog shows as the particular parts for a particular motor.

Comment

Problem solved

After replacing the water pump housing it works normally again.

After comparing the old housing to the new one it was easy to see why. The small contoured and tapered channel on the side was melted and was restricting the water flow.

Thanks to all who helped, it is greatly appreciated.

Nicole.

Comment

Thanks for the update and congrates!
                  Scott

Comment

the 3 washers above the impellor tell me 1 of 2 things.

either its not a 1993 OR the gearcase was replaced after 1995.
                    the 1995 and up V4 and V6,until the F250 and up, lowers used the 3 washers to control drive shaft end play.

its the details that drive you nuts.
                    also the 93 and the 95 and up used a different impellor wear plate,cup and housing.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                      the 3 washers above the impellor tell me 1 of 2 things.

either its not a 1993 OR the gearcase was replaced after 1995.
                      the 1995 and up V4 and V6,until the F250 and up, lowers used the 3 washers to control drive shaft end play.

its the details that drive you nuts.
                      also the 93 and the 95 and up used a different impellor wear plate,cup and housing.
                      When I do a parts lookup on the Yamaha website for the 1993 200 HP ProV TLRR engine, it lists the wave washer. As mentioned earlier Yamaha must like try different configurations.

Thanks again. You guys helped a bunch.

Comment

and it may be that Yamaha started phasing that set up with the wave washers in early. I know by 95 all the V motors used it.
                        its sole function is to eliminate an annoying bearing knock at in gear idle speeds.
                        other than possibly an annoying knock they don't matter.

I see mismatched gear cases almost daily, I can ID them by the way the shaft is machined above the drive keyway.

I cant tell you how many "bad" gearcases I have fixed by simply disassembling the water pump and installing the washers,retainer and collar correctly after another tech did not.
                        by that time the customer is saying the tech tore up his case cause it did not knock before the new water pump.

Comment

Working...
                        X