Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha 90 2 stroke. Relay/starter? Help…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 90 2 stroke. Relay/starter? Help…

I have a (2006) Yamaha 90 horse 2 stroke. I may or may not have shorted something. Symptoms, starter relay does fast clicking when trying to start, almost like it’s tripping. When disconnecting starter from power the relay operates properly. So it appears like the starter is shorted out and doesn’t allow the relay to stay on. I’m new at all this but I’m trying. I hate to throw parts at it. Everything else works. Gauges trim tilt. Etc. any advice?

It sounds to me like a voltage drop issue. Do you know what that is? Can you read a wiring diagram?

Comment

Test the battery on a load tester (most auto part stores will do that for you, but the battery needs to be fully charged)
      and make sure those battery cable connections are clean and tight and other connections in the circuit also.
      bad connections will cause this type of problem and a bad cell in battery

Comment

Bought a new battery assuming it was that. Just now used jumper cables from the battery to starter itself. It didn’t engage starter at all. A little spark when touching terminal on starter. But I assumed it would spin at least. ? Maybe it is the starter.

Comment

clean the negative connections also

just because you put a new battery in does not mean the cables and connections are all good.
          voltage reading should help when loaded to find the problem

Comment

Thank you. I will definitely inspect and clean the connections. I did think it was odd when reading the voltage to the relay it was 12+ volts yet when reading the voltage on the cable at the starter (unhooked) the cable was 11 something.

Comment

I have seen the cables themselves be a problem before, so voltage readings are a good thing.

if all checks out OK, with that said a bad starter can drag down the voltage

Comment

What's the voltage on the other side of the relay when activated?
                Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thank you all very much. It was a corroded ground wire. I would have bet it was the starter. I was actually looking for best price on new ones, when I pulled off the negative ground and it was nasty. Sand paper even had a tough time to clean it off. But gave it a quickie sand and one last attempt. And it fired right up.

Comment

Use "triple guard" grease on ur electrical connections. End of many, many electrical issues... And "deoxit" on your engine management connections. Like sensors, injectors, Tps, IAC,CKP, IAT, CDI (ECM) and such. Easy, inexpensive maintenance and saves u from breakdowns and running issues....

Comment

Also says that maintenance must include undoing high power connections (no matter how good the connections look on the outside) careful cleaning and careful good reconnection. Substantial number end up going bad eventually (could be years) causing frustrating head scratching.

Comment

Working...
                      X