Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repowering

Hey y'all:
    1) what would be recommendations for a good used Yamaha 2 or 4 stroke in the 150 - 250 hp range to replace my blown Z250X? Had an oil failure followed by operator error that blew the #2 cylinder. Boat is a good 2000 Wellcraft that I may sell or fix - depending.
    2) any recommendations for getting powerhead rebuilt other then by Yamaha? Tenkiller Marine seems to offer good pricing, shipping and overall service but who knows?

What is a Z250X? Is this an HPDI?

The number two cylinder failing in a big block HPDI is a relatively known issue. More than likely it is detonation (fuel related), not lack of oil. But if you ran the motor dry of oil, then so be it. Is just the one cylinder failed or are others damaged? Oil failure can generally affect more than just one cylinder.

Hydrotec or Chris Carson Marine are two sources for getting your power plant rebuilt (if rebuildable) if that is what you want to do. Maybe just the block being honed and a new piston is all that is needed but the full extent of the repair cannot usually be known until the motor is opened up.

To go the route of a new power plant from a Yamaha dealer might be very expensive. Maybe more than the motor is worth. Over $8K just for the block alone. Some would think you are then sitting on a very expensive time bomb.

It will be hard to sell a used HPDI. Its reputation precedes it.

I don't like buying used because of all of the unknowns. A new F250 Offshore would be a good choice if it is affordable.

Comment

Repowering

Thanks for the fast reply. FYI the X stands for the 25inch shaft and it is an HPDI. It clearly was an oil failure that I didn't understand and pushed the motor too hard. If I had been visiting this forum sooner I would've understood the motor better and avoided a costly mistake. Cost is the issue. Dealer threw out 8K for a new powerhead but I can't justify that. I am leery about rebuilt powerheads so I am looking for thoughts on what road to take. Thanks again.

Comment

repower

There only reason I would think that you would stay with a known high failure brand of outboard, would be that you don't want to change the cables,wire harness and control unit...

Comment

Repower

Up to a point you're right, however, the lower unit, SS prop, and tilt/trim are also good so there is some value there. That makes a reman powerhead more cost effective especially if I do the installation myself. I would love to have about a 200 hp 4 stroke but a new one is way too expensive for a 15 year old boat, even in good shape. I keep looking for good used but so far they are all too expensive. I will try and sell the boat as is but am not too hopeful about getting much for it. I am quickly approaching that 2nd great day in a boater's life - when he sells it. Thanks for the comeback.

Comment

What makes you say it is an oil failure?
            Bearings are the most likely 1st thing to go from lack of oil,or at least will see the dis-colorization of rods , crank,etc. area around bearings
            and piston failure is lean on fuel or overheat, which are sometimes related to the lean fuel to air ratio.
            Check to see what a rebuild of your power head will cost you before trying to sell as is

Comment

What model Wellcraft is it? How much do you want for the rig if you decide to sell?

I had a 1997 Aquasport (same as Wellcraft) and it was a fine boat. If the boat is in good shape there should not be a problem repowering it.

Comment

Repower

Boscoe - just got around to listing my boat on Craig's List Wilmington, NC
                It is a 22WA cuddy. I am asking $7200. Check it out there are lots of pictures and a listing of all the "goodies". I have mixed feelings about getting rid of it but I just don't want to shell another $6K or more. It is listed as "2000 Wellcraft Cuddy" - $7200 (Oak Island, NC)

Comment

Working...
                X