Top edges lower unit repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top edges lower unit repair?

Had to cut through one bolt holding my lower unit on. In doing so I messed up the top edge of the aluminum in the lower unit and a bit of the lower edge of what the lower unit mounts to. Imagine putting a flat blade in the small gap created when you first start to pull the lower unit off. looks similar to damage left behind when people pry their lower unit off with metal tools.

The damage seems to be cosmetic, but annoying. Is there a good way to build that edge back up and apply some touch up paint?
    Last edited by Doggydog; 03-19-2022, 11:58 AM.

A picture may help, but if I'm understanding you correctly - you really don't even have to build that edge back up. It's not a water tight seal to begin with. Smooth it out, prime and paint, go boating. But if you really wanted to, something like PC-11 will do it.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

I’ve patched cosmetic chips in the aluminum lower unit….mostly in the skeg area with JB Weld. As long as your patch is not in a structural area and mostly cosmetic then use JB Weld, let cure well, file/sand as desired, some touch up paint and you’ll be good to go….

Comment

there are holes drilled in those units to let the water drain out so I would not worry about not being a tight fit

Comment

Gob some JB Weld on there with a putty knife, let it set up, file it and sand it so it looks good, then paint it…..Advance Auto has a blue/grey spray paint in a can that is a good match for the Yamaha color…easy fix!!!

Comment

It all depends on how much it bothers you. You could just let alone as is. You could smooth/paint like I mentioned. You can totally make it look like it never happened. It's 100% your call.

Comment

Great, I'll try for a smooth out with JB weld,

Had to pay a machine shop to remove the stuck (broken) bolt from the lower unit.

Are the 6 holes in the lower unit supposed to be threaded? Like, the hole in the lower unit itself, not the hole it screws into obviously...

Comment

No, the bolt has to spin to allow for attachment.

Comment

Working...
                X