Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inner bearing carrier seal won’t take

Motor is a 2000 Yamaha OX66 (SX200TXRY)

Issue I’m having is with the inner most seal on the bearing carrier not seating and forming a seal.

The issue came about after pulling bearing carrier to remove and replace a severely bent prop shaft. It all came apart without too much hassle after having to drill out the retaining nut. Replaced prop shaft seals along with shift shaft seal while it was apart which all seem to be seated well and sealing fine. I replaced the rubber O-ring and thrust washer that sit between the bearing carrier and gears. I cleaned out what corrosion was inside the torpedo where the seal seats, as well as corrosion on the beveled face of the bearing carrier. It all goes back together fine, the bearing carrier goes all the way in to the torpedo, prop shaft has end-play, and it shifts through the gears and turns like it should.

The only thing I haven’t replaced was the shim that sits ahead of it all because it was in good condition and I was unsure about how thick of one to order.

At this point I’ve pretty much exhausted all of my mechanical intuition and would really like to hear from someone who has done a few of these or had this same issue.

inner most seal on the carrier, has me thinking this is between the carrier and housing.
    could it be the corrosion was too much and the cleaning was not good enough to get the seal back

Comment

99yam40, That was my first thought so I cleaned the housing and bearing carrier both with some emery cloth and then polished with 400 grit sandpaper. There isn’t any pitting or deep corrosion like that

Comment

I would check the carrier it self for out of round. Also the bore it sits in. You are talking in regard to the O ring seal. Correct ? Not the back to back shaft seals.
        Last edited by Keithbaja; 03-18-2022, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Keithbaja- Correct, large O ring that seats against the housing between carrier and thrust washer

Comment

Working...
          X