Yamaha 150 Four Stroke won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 150 Four Stroke won't start

I just purchased a Skeeter SL 190 one-owner from an individual on Friday....boat and motor both very clean. Motor is a 2007 Yamaha four stroke. Took it out on the lake and it did great. Started, cruised to about 60mph, ran perfect. On Saturday I return to the lake to take kids tubing. Started perfect again. Cruise out to deep water, hook tube up, make one run before throwing son off of tube. Went back to get him, shut off motor. Started again, but this time as I gave it throttle, it was bogging down and would not plane out. Stopped the motor to see if there was anything tangled in the prop but there was not. Restarted, again would not go full throttle, bogging down. Shut it off again. Go to start, only clicks. Waited about 5 minutes, tried to start again, and it started. Slowly cruised to boat dock (about 1000 feet). As I approached boat dock, motor died. Had to put boat on to trailer manually, but trim did work. Figured I had maybe left power switch on the night before and ran the batteries down. Brought it home and hooked it up to on board charger, charged overnight. Checked battery next morning and it is good. Turned key, and it hit. Take it back to lake. Now it will only click. Checked outboard motor fuses, all good. Checked battery connections, all look good and are tight. Could I be dealing with an alternator issue? I called previous owner and he said he had not had any problems starting. Any help appreciated.

You will have to be doing more for us to help
    , need to know what voltage is at battery before hitting starter and while hitting starter and then at starter or /and relay when hitting start

Comment

sounds like you might have a dirty or loose battery connection.clean and tighten all battery connections.

Comment

12.8 volts. 11.8 under load. 11.66 at starter under load. All connections are clean, tight, and look good. Checked fuses on motor and they all look ok. When key is turned, just get clicking sound. Has starter or alternator possibly gone bad? As mentioned in original post, motor bogged down and would not accelerate. Is that a separate issue, or related to the electrical problem. I cannot imagine having two separate issue crop up at same time?
        Last edited by mmcop1990; 07-28-2015, 12:55 AM.

Comment

GRRr

start with a voltage drop test at the starter and work back from there..

Comment

Working...
          X