starter wont turnover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter wont turnover

have a 2003 F225 that wont turn over just clicks how do I t/s starter selinoid,relay battery is new and charged pt works fine. thanks in advance

Originally posted by chiefabba View Post
    how do I t/s starter selinoid,relay
    can you explain what this is asking?

Comment

sorry for the bad comm, how do I trouble shoot the starter, the starter relay or any other part in the circuit.

Comment

with a digital multimeter and a clue.

if you have no idea how the relay then the starter solenoid works, nor why.
        you aint gonna fix it.

do you have a digital voltmeter??

there is a relay, then the start solenoid.
        both have to work.

a monkey can get this one.

Comment

yes I do have the tester

Comment

Maybe check the condition of your main battery cables and connections, which would be prone to corrosion in Key Largo.....

Comment

thanks as soon as the rain stops. can I go direct to engine from a remote battery in the stern

Comment

12 volts from the key switch goes to the starter relay control circuit and closes the starter relay contacts.

With the starter relay closed, 12 volts from a fuse is applied through the starter relay to the solenoid control circuit and closes the starter solenoid contacts.

With the starter solenoid closed, 12 volts from the battery is applied to the starter motor. Starter motor should turn and crank the motor.

Maybe a picture will help. If the battery voltage is good check all involved connections, both positive and ground.

Comment

checked primary wires and connections all seem tight but some corrosion. will clean up with wire brush and corrosion block . noticed the fuel pump turned on and off after every turn of the ignition and all gages are working. Awaiting my son to turn key switch so I can check voltages at engine.

Comment

Don't forget that it is power that does the work, not voltage alone. You can have perfectly good resting voltages but still have a problem. More commonly known as voltage drop.

Comment

And even if all connections are clean and tight, there can be internal corrosion on the main battery cables....underneath that plastic sheathing where saltwater can get in and eat them up....it's worth a look-see...

Comment

noticed starter solenoid was very hot voltage drop was 12.5 at battery /10.1 at starter. changed starter and solenoid . works great. sometimes you just have to pay the big bucks .all is well in paradise. thanks for all your advice and help. chiefabba

Comment

Working...
                        X